Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Plym Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Work In Progress, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Hello All, I don't post a lot but I want to share my build. 47 Plym coupe I got as a 1/4 finished project from someone who lost interest. Floors and rockers were gone, Trunk floor gone and missing some odds and ends. I don't have any pictures of when I got it but some mid way through. The subframe is a 71 Firebird done by a friend 20 years ago. Been accumilating parts since I got it back 12 years ago. First picture is when the floors and rockers were cut out..... Second picture is the firewall comming back 4 inches. Next is the completed floors. Decided it needed a little more wheel clearance so I cut out the rear inner fenders and added 6 inches of room :D There is a picture of the set up Hemi but I do have a built one going in there now. More to come later. Thanks for looking.

Adam

Attached Files:

2. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

sweet looking like my car

3. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

love those plymouths

4. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

5. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Ok, decided I didn't want the 700r4 so I am running a 518 o/d. Man that transmission is looooong. I also didn't like the motor mounts I built or where the engine is placed so I'm moving it foward 2 inches and up 1 inch for steering clearance. Already offset 1 inch to the pass side. I also put the built engine in this time to mock up the motor mounts and for a little inspiration. I need all I can get because I don't want this project sitting any longer. Pictures to follow soon.

Adam

6. I'm doing a 47' as well. You have any pics of the Firechicken sub frame? How it lines up, tracking width? I was thinking G-body. I rather use Camaro/Firechicken but I thought it would be to wide?

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 42-48 Plymouth cars have a great solid frame, a decent enough front suspension once you modify the shock placement, and roomy interior. I've had a number of them and love them stock or modern drivetrain.
    Can't wait to see your progress!

8. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

I will get more close ups as soon as I can. I work long hours so it might be a day or 2. I agree that the stock suspension is good but I did the subframe when the car belonged to my buddy, it's what he wanted. The track is a little too wide so I bought the Fatman narrowed control arms after I aquired the car. Small mod to the radiator support but the steering box is completely out of the way. My 49 Dodge has the stock suspension and it rides and handles good.

9. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

I have been kicking around the idea of welding in an X member to the frame?? Going to have about 400+ HP, automatic transmission and 4.10 rear on leafs (no lowering blocks) some sort of a torque arm for traction kinda like the AFX cars did, what do you think?

10. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

400+ hp couldn't twist that frame if it was in a tornado.......... I've found smaller rails on 1 ton trucks.:)

11. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

12. Kinda what I though. To wide. I think G-Body is the ticket.
    I do agree they have great frames and ahead of their time independant suspension. But I can get a frame stub for the price of rebuilding the brakes on the old Dodge. It's all about economics. Plus I get disk brakes and the steering box is out of the way.

13. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Ok, here are some pictures of the install as promised. I couldn't have done it without my helper!!! Third generation hotrodder. Although my pop has gone to the billet streetrod dark side.

Attached Files:

14. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

And some more.......... This really motivated me to get going on this. Just seeing it is there shining like a diamond in a goat's ass. Only 1 blued finger too!:D As you can see from the second to last picture, the wheels are a little out but thats with no alignment shims so the camber is wayyyy out on top making it look worse than it really is. I also shot a picture of the Fatman narrow upper control arms.

Attached Files:

15. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

That stock steering box is a big issue on these. I don't know how easy that Hemi would have fit with the box behind the front suspension. I offset it about an inch and the right header is about an inch from the frame rail. The Firechicken subframe is wider than the stock frame next to the engine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  16. I was just going to ask about the steering box. Have you tried fitting the rad yet?

17. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Yes. I wish I had a picture, the radiator itself fits, Had to do some support mods to get around the steering box but it clears by 1/2 inch. I will drag it out of my basement and snap a few shots soon.

18. blackdog

blackdog
    from Golden BC

Man thats looking good. My 46 Plymouth coupe is sitting on a '78 malibu frame. It fits really well and rides sweet. Love that HEMI!

19. farmer12

farmer12

Nice project and great progress. Keep up the good work!

20. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Your build has been an inspiration to me

21. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Ok, got the motor mounts tacked in tonight. Here are a couple of picts.

Attached Files:

22. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Ok, got the transmission mount almost finished. I was able to use the mount I made for the 700r4. Just had to modify it a little. I'm not too sure I like how the Impala trans crossmember looks but the way it kicks up, clears my master cylinder. Exhaust will not be an issue as it is going to run outside the frame rails. Spent a lot of time measuring today to make sure it is in there straight. Good news is I won't have to cut very much of my floors. I will attach pictures soon.

23. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Here are the pictures of the transmission crossmember in progress and finished in the car. It is nice now that the transmission does not have to be held up by blocks. Also fitted the drivers side header in today. Had to cut a bit of front crossmember. Will plate it in later when the car comes back apart for finish welding. Last is the steering and front bumper brackets, then it all comes back apart. Hopefully for the last time!!

Attached Files:

24. cuda man

cuda man

Very impressive. I love fat-fendered Mopars!

25. n847

n847

Nice build...If you decide that Hemi is too much work just PM me your address and I'll take it off your hands for my 47 Coupe! Do you have any shots of the whole car! Looks like a cool project...Keep up the good work!

Oh and from what I heard the G-body is too wide!

26. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Here is how I did the radiator support. I wanted to make sure the steering box was serviceable without pulling the front end apart. I took a couple of close-ups.

Attached Files:

27. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

You know, I have not seen the car all together for 20 years and 2 owners ago. It had rotten floors and rockers when I got it and I aquired it over several months and several deliveries of parts. I keep telling myself I only have to take it apart 1 more time then final assembly.

28. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Here is what I had to do to the front crossmember to fit the header. Of course I will plate it in when it comes back apart

Attached Files:

29. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Thanks for all the kind words and support on this build.

30. n847

n847

Looks like you've got it all figured out!