Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 47 Merc disc brake conversion: which wheel to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourteeseven, Mar 30, 2019.

1. fourteeseven

fourteeseven

Hi everybody:
    I'm hoping someone else has been along this path and may be able to help. I am in the process of installing Speedway's 5X5.5 disc brake conversion kit (pn 910-31909) on my 47 Mercury. The factory 15" wheels won't clear the calipers, so I ordered the Wheel Vintiques 12 series 15" smoothie wheel (pn 12-550503). That wheel clears the caliper, but the factory Mercury hubcaps will not fit this rim. It's close, but it will take some serious persuasion and I don't want to damage the hubcap. I'm relegated to a 15" wheel, as I've already bought a set of 15" wide whites.

Can anybody recommend an aftermarket 15" steel wheel that will accept the factory 1947 Mercury hubcap?

I would also be willing to go with an OEM wheel if it would clear the caliper and accept the Mercury hubcap. I just don't know what year or vehicle would work.

Thanks for your help!

fourteeseven

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Casey Riley likes this.
  2. 42merc

42merc

Use a 1/4" spacer (sourced from Advance Auto Parts) behind the STOCK '47 Merc wheel.
    This fix works for me.

3. I had Wheel Vintiques custom make my 15" 5 0n 5-1/2 wheels. I bought NOS Ford centers for their custom 8", custom offset rims. I am using the Magnum disc set up on my '40. No clearance issues.

BUT.....The Wheel Vintiques workmanship was awful......2 of 5 wheels were too far out of plane, and finish work quality was terrible, welds were terrible. An expensive fix......

4. fourteeseven

fourteeseven

Thanks, guys, I appreciate your replies. 42 Merc: your idea is simple, cheap and effective. I guess I was overthinking this thing, so thanks for bringing me back around to a common-sense solution.

5. 2manyseats

2manyseats
    from London, UK

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but could you tell me the inside diameter of your original 47 steel wheels as I've been looking for 15" hoops/shells/rims with a 12" drop center and am having big trouble finding any Stateside or in UK. thanks Dave

6. deucemac

deucemac

Don't waste money on wheel Vintiques. I battled them a few times and gave up. I use Wheelsmiths exclusively now. When I first called them and told them of my running problems with Wheel Vintiques, the guy on the phone laughed and said that they love Wheel Vintiques because of all the business they drive Wheelsmiths way! That was before Coker bought them out and I haven't heard about any improvements since then.

Nailhead Jason likes this.