Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '47 Ford - SBC 327 to Early Ford Transmission - Help Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, May 13, 2021.

1. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I'm with nosford on this. Something is wrong with the installation of the clutch/pressure plate. I have the same set up and it works just fine.

ottoman likes this.
  2. ntfday

ntfday

In the mid 60's I had a 36 5window Ford coupe with a fairly stout 301. It had a Schiefer aluminum flywheel, Ford clutch disc and a Chevy pressure plate. I ran a 39 box with Zephyr gears and a 40 Ford pickup rear end with 4:41 gears. I never had a problem with clutch engagement.

3. lostmind

lostmind

Sure looks like hub is against pressure plate, I think you should see the edge of
    friction material .

4. I believe what some of the posters are saying is check the pressure plate is not contacting the clutch plate hub where the arrow is...the photo kind of gives the impression that it is :confused:
    thumbnail-3.jpg

ottoman and nosford like this.
  5. The pressure plate fingers look to low to me, a clutch shop should be able re adjust them if that is in fact the case. I have had this done before myself.
    Al.

6. Thanks, that is exactly what I was trying to describe in words! The photo with the arrow works much better. If this is contacting the pressure plate as you tighten down the bolts on the pressure plate it would cause the release fingers to drop low, and it looks like that is exactly what is happening! Either the center of the clutch plate is too large to fit into the center of the pressure plate (not under it as the picture looks) or the clutch plate is upside down. Not an adjustment in the world that will fix that!

ottoman and lostmind like this.
  7. I found this cutaway picture of a clutch assembled, the pressure plate is yellow colored and you can see how the clutch hub fits INSIDE the yellow pressure plate. The picture Axle posted shows the clutch hub trapped under the pressure plate, not inside it like the cutaway. Hope this helps explain. image1.jpg

8. I read the all the Pages of this, when I was doing Clutches back in the Day
    If I remember there were 2 different size Bolt's that would go on
    the Bell Housing For the Clutch Fork & If you had the Wrong one

Your Clutch Would Not Work.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

9. So, Axle, any progress on figuring this out? Inquiring minds want to know.

10. lostmind

lostmind

Maybe they're putting an automatic in it?

11. axle

axle
    from Drag City

UPDATE - After exhausting just about every possible avenue, I called Wilcap, and he simply explained how to adjust the Pressure Plate. The '50 Merc "3 Finger" style has nuts on the outside of them. Turning them clockwise brought the fingers outward to where we needed it. Installed everything again, and waalah - the Throw Out bearing spins freely, but is an 1/8" away from the Pressure Plate. Engage the clutch pedal and it works. We even tried putting the car in gear, engaging the clutch, moving the car, then disengaging it , and the car stopped. I think we FINALLY have it. I appreciate all of the input you guys gave. Axle

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  12. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Ha! Trust me, it entered my mind.

13. O' gray hair

O' gray hair

I have the B&B pp like the one you have in the picture. I'm using a 1956 chevy 265 engine mated to 39 Ford tranny. When all is put togeather, the pilot brg is 1" from the fingers. My next move is to cut 5/8" from the center of a Model A TOB hub. I hope this will makeup the distance.