Register now to get rid of these ads!

47 Ford Pickup Trans......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Norris McCarty, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

I've got a 47 Ford pickup with an 8BA Flathead and the original 3spd floorshift tranny. The trans jumps out of 2nd gear when I let off the gas. There are zero "ole time" mechanics around here so I have no place local to go with the problem. Do any of you guys know what might be the problem. The trans shifts fine and isn't noisey. Motor and trans mounts are good and tight.
    Thanks,
    Norris

2. barry wny

barry wny

I would pull the top and the lever out of it, to slide the forks to see how the detents hold it in place. Easy thing to check out the spring & ball. Mine would do that occasionally but I had to bend the lever almost horizontal and detent has more weight on it.
    Once you have the top off you can check the countershaft for endplay and the fit of the gears on the main shaft. My guess id there is endplay in the countershaft and on decel that is enough extra push on a weak detent to disengage. I had a 8LL roadranger that started jumping out of reverse and the syncros were shot, from shifting in reverse. I would look at a parts catalog or visit Mac Vanpelt's website for insight. They are smooth & quiet and easy to work on, I would do the detents and try it before pulling it out and apart.

3. Fe26

Fe26

IMHO The first thing to try and the easiest, is the detents and springs in the shifter plate. There's a guy I think his name is Hot Rod John (on ebay) who makes a kit. If the detents aren't the problem, you will have to investigate further.
    This means pulling the trans and getting inside. There are a few possibilities from worn syncro's to excessive end play of the shafts. If this is the case then I reccomend Mac Van Pelts transmission book.
    Good luck

4. satelite

satelite

Mac Van Pets book is a must. Very well writen with lots of pictures. My guess is the shift tower needs rebuild.
    Don in SC

5. Mac's website is www.flatheadV8.com, and he's a regular over on Fordbarn.com. Anybody who is running an old Ford toploader needs to get Mac's book. Any questions the book doesn't answer (which is unlikely), contact Mac from his website or post the question on Fordbarn.