Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 47 ford coupe drop shackles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr. h, May 22, 2016.

1. Ok so I made my own drop shackles for my 47 ford coupe. When I put it on the ground the whole front end slid over toward the driver side about 2 inches. Well I had all original rubber so it was all a mess. I'm now replacing all the rubber and shock links so my question is how do I set it up to make sure it doesn't slide the front end to one side?

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Do both sides together and don't make them too long, reverse the spring eyes would be another thought or remove a few leaves, presumably you are lowering the front end? Look at adjusting the drag link as well as the front end geometry has been changed slightly and check your wishbone clearance.
    [​IMG]

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking you are going to have to make the panhard bar so it's adjustable. That is what is pushing the axle to one side when the car goes down lower.

Tim likes this.
  4. Would a narrower spring help out? Yes sorry I did mean the front. I was thinking of getting a new reverse eye spring, mine is original and pretty messy, the pan hard bar makes sense why it pushes toward the drivers side

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup pan hard. Take it loose and get the car man handled into being straight again and then either bend the pan hard bar or make a new hole on the frame side bracket so that when its sitting on the tires there is no tension on it and no slop in it.

Slop and you'll have it flip flopping around some still, tension and your going to snap the mount off the frame.

It's still going to handle worse because of the longer shackles but you should be able to keep it in line with correct pan hard set up, the stock sway bar will also help. No need to mess with your spring at this point

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

~ if your spring is messy feel free to get a new reverse eye spring and then make your shackles the apropriate amount shorter to retain your current drop and improve handling. But I would sort this all out before that. No need to have an existing issue and then throw a new spring in the mix. One thing at a time ;)

7. Thanks for the tips.