Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 47 ford car axle can i use it?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by v8caddy, Dec 21, 2015.

1. v8caddy

v8caddy

merry Christmas everyone, I just got done looking at the snoopy hot rod , I loved the look of that axle in front realy made it look mean, heres my question I have a 47 ford car axle, springs , steering box everything , has anyone else ever used one in a model a , boy I would love to try it , thanks guys

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. You don't do much reading here on the HAMB????

verde742 and v8caddy like this.
  3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

It's very common. Gary

v8caddy likes this.
  4. verde742

verde742

Its usually to wide.. are you thinkin' spring and all?

You have some home work to attend to..

v8caddy likes this.

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

The axle might be a little tricky as the perch pins are far out towards the kingpins.
    That results in a lessened turn radius as the tires can hit the split wishbones. Some people have bent the wishbone arms to compensate. No split...no problem!
    You can also get a custom main leaf to allow you to use early perch pins with the shackle bushings to get your spring above the axle.
    It's perhaps a bit of extra work to use the late axle BUT its been done many times so theres really nothing mysterious about it.
    Most people seem to go with the early style axle and use the later spindles, along with the brakes if thats the style you intend to use...or you can get or adapt various styles of different drum or disc brakes as well. :D

v8caddy likes this.
  6. 1pickup

1pickup

WTF is the "snoopy hot rod"?

Denns1989 and v8caddy like this.
  7. Crankhole

Crankhole

8. v8caddy

v8caddy

so
    snoopy model a survivor { thread}
    rry I just joined not long ago , kind of why I asked that was the first I seen

9. v8caddy

v8caddy

does anyone have pictures how the mounted the front spring , I would like to use the whole setup

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Denns1989, volvobrynk and v8caddy like this.
  11. v8caddy

v8caddy

right now I haven't boxed the frame or anything but , I have a 32 front axle with 47 ford spindels and brakes , outside the fact the later axle setup would look cool I'm not sur all the work would be worth it , I been searching for a build thread where someone did it but no luck that front crossmember has me kind of stumped

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stock, a '47 axle is "spring-ahead". It will look awkward on an earlier car. To use it any other way will require specialized parts and some work on your part. If you already have a '32 axle, I'm kinda of mystified why you are even considering the '47. Grab the brakes and sell the rest to a street rodder building a '47 with disc brakes.

v8caddy and Nailhead Jason like this.
  13. if you have a 32 axle that isn't trash you should use that. A 47 is too wide and when the bones are split as Hackerbilt said it cuts your steering radius way down. Take the wishbones from the 47 and split them to use on the 32 axle youll be way ahead of the game with it that way. too use the whole 47 assemble it put the front wheels behind the crossmember sice it is a front spring set up. that then puts your radiator in front of the center of the front wheels and just looks weird. lots of people have done it but then again lots of people wear their pants half hanging off there ass, and we all know that looks stupid as hell. Just cause somebody else does it don't make it right....

v8caddy likes this.
  14. v8caddy

v8caddy

I thought that to ,that's why I figured on using the 32 ford axle I alredy have the spindels and break backing plates on , is there anyway I could at least use the 47 ford steering sector

15. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I had an old, dropped. 47 axle under a model A with split bones. Bought perches and used a model A spring with a reversed eye main leaf that I had made at a spring shop to convert to spring over configuration.

v8caddy likes this.
  16. Are you looking for something like this? Notice I did not split the wish bone. This Roadster is going to be full fendered when done. And yes,, the wheel base is stock to Model A. P1010242.JPG P1010246.JPG P1010249.JPG
    The Wizzard

Tim, volvobrynk and v8caddy like this.
  17. v8caddy

v8caddy

I wonder the 47 ford sector was set up as a cross steer where the draglink whent sideways and hooked on the passenger side spindle could this be rigged up for the other type steering , I new at this steering thing

18. v8caddy

v8caddy

ya pist-n-broke that's it , that looks great , I notice it set the way it should , with the front far enough ahead , did you move the crossmember ahead , and is it the 47 ford with

19. The frame is built using Model A rails and a Model AA front cross member in stock rivet hole location. To much to explain so just take a look at it without the Body on.
    The Wizzard 02-15-12 001.jpg Closer; 002.jpg

v8caddy likes this.
  20. v8caddy

v8caddy

man thanks one thing how many inchs back does the spring on center measure from the tip of the frame horns

21. Here is the Pile I started with. Tip of frame horn to center of spring is same as any STOCK Model A is.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

I just went to my shop and measured from tip of front horn to middle of spring on 28 model A Don 11 inches

v8caddy likes this.
  23. v8caddy

v8caddy

I thought unless you moved the crossmember ahead the frontwheels would be to far back

24. That would be true in the event your frame rails are stock. Notice also my rear Axle is a 36 with spring behind. My wheel base is STOCK model A. Something had to change. I started out with a Vision, a Plan and a formula to get there long before I started the parts pile. I don't think like Normal People. I also place Zero value on the How to Do it A-V8 books in print.
    The Wizzard

volvobrynk and v8caddy like this.
  25. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Nice build

v8caddy likes this.
  26. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

On this Picture , you cut 2 frame of A , which is the new length have the frame now ?

v8caddy likes this.
  27. Correct; New overall rail length is longer than Stock Model A rails with wheel base of front and rear Axles same as Stock Model A.
    The Wizzard

v8caddy and volvobrynk like this.
  28. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

How much have to extend you the new frame ?

v8caddy likes this.
  29. I can't answer that off the Top of my head. It's been to long since I built the Frame. For you to figure it out just measure from center of spring to center of Axle. If I remember correct it was about 3.5" front and 6.5" rear and a total of 10". Don't do anything with those numbers until you verify them.
    The Wizzard

v8caddy likes this.
  30. v8caddy

v8caddy

man you guys are talking me right back into it , I'm starting to get it now , I have a bare model a frame and the 47 axle when the weather clears I'm going to take it in the shop see how it looks