Register now to get rid of these ads!

'47 Dodge Fluid drive issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INJUNTOM, Sep 23, 2007.

1. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Biggest issue is that It really likes to grind when trying to go into 1st or reverse. Once you get it into one of them it is easier to go from one to the other until you stop again.

Anybody dealt with this before?

2. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

BTW, the other issue is that since some brainiac decided to put a torque converter and a clutch together there is no park, and leaving the trans in gear does nothing for you because of the torque converter.

The park brake mechanism at the driveshaft is mostly gone, so I'll have to start looking I guess.

3. 1st and reverse are not synchronized on that trans. You have to stop all the gears spinning inside the trans to get it in 1 or R by shifting into 2nd or 3rd and then going to 1 or R. This is assuming you are trying to shift from N with the clutch released.
    I have a nice wolmanized parking brake for that car...

Dan

4. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Dan, I have tried to go into 2nd and 3rd first. Doesn't seem to help, but then again I haven't been able to drive it much.

Is that the parking brake that belongs on it? It seems to have a mini "Drum" off the rear of the trans, and a cable tied out of the way, but not much else.

It's in the air right now...I guess I'd better get a pic. The 2x4 park brake is already getting old, and hard to set by myself. :D

5. taylormade

taylormade

Your Dodge should have a drum at the end of the tranny and a circular band around it with a lining inside. Pull the lever under the dash and the cable pulls the outer band closed with a series of pivots and springs. You can see it on the end of the tranny in this picture.

[​IMG]

When the transport guy delivered my 50 Wayfarer convertible, he said the clutch was bad because when he put the car in gear it rolled. I told him all Fluid Drives roll when in gear!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bobw

bobw

When I was a youth many decades ago I found my Dad's '52 Chrysler a block away from where I parked it and didn't set the parking brake. It had the highly desireable (ha) Tip-Toe-Matic transmission with the fluid drive.

7. 390kid

390kid

change the oil

8. I have a 50 dodge with fluid drive that I drive everyday, and it has to be at a dead stop to shift into first or reverse . Most days it is a little fussy going into second the first few shifts also.I changed the fluid in mine when i first got it. I used 10 wt. hydraulic oil . Also their is still a normal clutch involved.

9. Sounds like the clutch needs adjusting as it's not disengaging properly.

Also; get a book! Factory shop manuals are great, but an old Motors Manual has a wealth of info also.

10. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

My old man was into those fluid drives for his work beaters, and I had the honor of getting to work on them. As Undee said, get a manual for 'em. If you break them down into the different systems, they are actually pretty simple things. And the settings have to be pretty exact. If it starts to slip, it is usually the torque converter is losing fluid through the seal. To add fluid, peel back the carpet at the top of the trans . hump, and turn the engine over until a plug appears. Remove the plug, add fluid, and replace plug. They were known for seals drying up, and they all ground a little going into 1st or rev. if not adjusted almost perfectly......Ole Pork

11. Wolmanized IS a pressure treated 2x4.
    My neighbor has a 47 Dodge fluid drive setup for sale.
    Call Bob @ 734-753-4697 in Michigan

Dan

12. Ivers

Ivers
    from Oslo

Hi, I have a dodge fluid drive 48' and needs "desperately" good trims- th ones over the wheels(4) I would be pleased if you could help me find them for me.

Iver

13. RodStRace

RodStRace

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Your clutch may not be fully releasing, if the in put shaft is turning at all ist and reverse will grind. There is an adjustible rod between the pedal ad the throwout fork. Give it a bit more length and the grinding will likely go away. The fluid unit is not a torque converter it is a 1 to .999 transfer medium. Basically they are bullet proof unless they are leaking or have been overfilled or filled with an incorrect fluid.

And yes fluid drive does require an operable parking brake, as the fluid drive unit will provide no compression brake with the engine off.

Beside you're not supposed to be shiftin the thing any way, Put it in third and drive with the gas and brake pedal. The clutch needn't be used at stop signs and lights, just brake to a stop and then gather momentum gracefully as you pull away by releasing the brake and gassing it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  15. RodStRace

RodStRace

INJUNTOM, did you make any progress on this?

16. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

It got a little better after I got used to it, and if I do a fluid motion of going down into 2nd, then up to 3rd, back to 2nd, then into first it tends to help the issue.

The problem I'm having now is that the car isn't running due some moron losing the sending unit to the gas tank when it was out to get repaired...it had a leak. I'm sure the tank is wrong for the car, and have no clue what fits it.

Pretty much sucks. I'm about to toss in a temporary tank in the trunk to be able to drive it.

17. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Finally got a tank in it and went for the first long drive (7 miles) today:

Next up is dealing with the park brake thing..

Attached Files:

18. RodStRace

RodStRace

Please get that squared away!
    Went to a car show today, and when I left I saw the 54 Windsor I had met over on the side of the road with the rear bumper into the hill. The engine stalled and he had no way to park it due to no E brake. Had to back it into the hill to keep it from rolling...