Register now to get rid of these ads!

47 diamond t semi to pickup project progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john walker, Jul 4, 2009.

1. john walker

john walker

IMG_1462 (Medium).JPG IMG_1463 (Medium).JPG IMG_1464 (Medium).JPG 18211668_91b50d65ea (Medium).jpg IMG_1475 (Medium).JPG it's been about a year and a half since i pulled the cab and nose off the caterpillar tractor hauler. i jammed on it last week so i could get it outside for the annual greenwood car show that runs on the street in front of my shop for about a mile. our car club, the greenwood knights, ran it this year and raised a good chunk of cash for the local food bank. still have some wiring and misc crap to do.
    the frame is '52 chevy 1 ton. front crossmember is '87 chevy 1/2 ton which is a bolt on, other than being narrowed 1.5". 3" dropped spindles, PS, PB, '88 350, edelbrock intake and carb, headers, 700R4, '88 suburban rear end, rear fenders are made from a pair of extra fronts, cut along the peak, 5 1/2" added on the inside, 7" cut from the center, and a new wheel well lip hammered out over a plywood buck and welded on. probably 30' of welding on each fender. the bed and running boards are made from scratch in 12ga steel. bumpers are repop '49 chevy pickup rears, with the rear one narrowed 7". wheels are 20" 2007 tahoe/suburban with a custom machined DT hubcap insert to cover the bow tie. the rusty one is what i started with.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hey, you turned one ass of a Hauler into a pretty nice Haul Asser!

3. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nifty. Really like the matching fenders. Just wondering if you have a shot of your truck with someone standing next to it. It MUST be a big old Tonka truck. Gary

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

John, you're truck looks great! Inspiring for me, since I've not touched mine for months. With the thrash on the '36 Fordillac slowing down now that I can drive it, I hope to get on the DT soon. I'm stealing your Chev bumper idea, but I'm going my own way with wheels, using Dodge one ton 17's.

Brian

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. john walker

john walker

i'm 6'4" and the top is nose height. it's a helluva lot lower than it was. i wasn't going for extra low, just a decent height for a driver. 18' long bumper to bumper. 2' 4" shorter than my '98 chevy X-cab longbed and about the same width.

7. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Good looking truck.

8. Nice, that really shows the potential of those old big rigs.

9. matt 3083

matt 3083
    from Tucson, Az

That is one nice truck. By the way
    just how long is the bed? I've
    always wanted something like that.
    You did good.
    Matt

10. trad27

trad27

nice looking truck, you inspired me to try to get this truck a few miles from my house.

[​IMG]

11. woodbox

woodbox

Your truck looks awesome, I love it and am extremely jealous! A friend of mine works for his family bus company and up until the late 80's they were still using a Diamond T school bus on a daily basis. They still have the bus in the yard and one more spare one. My Grandfather had a trucking company during the 30's through the 60's and I have photos of huge logs 8' plus in diameter on the back of Diamond T trucks.

12. Great looking cab on those Diamond Ts. Matching rear fenders look right. Very nice job. Just goes to show what a little resourcefulness and ingenuity can accomplish.

13. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Did you add metal to the wheel openings in the fenders? I can't tell due to the dark color and the shadow in the wheel area. It sorta looks like the openings have been resized to match the smaller tire/wheel combo.

14. DtroitDinosaur

DtroitDinosaur

Really great!
    Nice work.

15. moTthediesel

moTthediesel

That just may be the most beautiful pickup I've ever seen, kudos!

16. Lizard

Lizard
    from Benson Az

John,
    Awesome job making it look right

17. john walker

john walker

the rear openings are custom made by beating 18ga cold rolled over a 3/4" plywood pattern buck with a rubber hammer. then they were welded on. the fronts are still stock, but i may reshape them a bit later on. the 20" wheels and big ass tires help a lot to fill that big opening.

j-jock likes this.
  18. john walker

john walker

that's pretty much what i started with as you can see from the rusty "core" in my pictures. the cab and nose is all you need.

19. moparron426

moparron426

John, you did a great job taking a "LARGE, OLD" truck and making a beautiful truck that can be used as a daily driver or taken to a show, nice work... Ron.....[​IMG][​IMG]

20. john walker

john walker

the bed is eight and a half feet. inside is four feet, one half inch. no inner wheel well humps. the back of the cab to the front of the grille is also eight and a half feet, so i figured that would be a good proportion, and the rear fender length also required a long bed. the bed is bolted together for ease of painting and repair.

21. rick finch

rick finch

Excellent...proportions are right on, nice job.

22. F&J

F&J
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many downsized trucks just don't flow from front to back. That one is perfect IMO, plus looks like a useful truck instead of just a ride.

I have a nice 48 509 twin screw long straight job that I hope to run a sleeper and rollback.... P/S, I read your website.... I am also an ex vw mech from 1970. :)

Hnstray likes this.
  23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Wow, I was just wondering how something like this would work out - I guess I have my answer. Stunning!

-Dave

24. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Yep; really nice.

25. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Love that truck! Many years ago I had a Cousin who was a farmer. He had a BRAND NEW Diamond T. I was really impressed with it. Much classier than other brands on the market then. I still remember looking at it, stuck in my mind like a picture! I'll always have a soft spot for Diamond T. Great job. Perley

26. Great truck. The proportions are dead on. I love the '20 Chevy wheels.

I bet it's a super driver. Not too low, certainly not too high, just right.

JH

Hnstray likes this.
  27. ridgy didge

ridgy didge

Great job on the fenders,Cool to see finished.Just lifted mine of the truck chassis today.You got me motivated to get back out there !!

28. john walker

john walker

thanks for the good comments. i'm still working on the brake booster/master cylinder/pedal setup before it's really driveable. the MPB double diaphram 7" booster and corvette master cylinder just would not function properly, so used a '84 dodge 1/2 ton pickup 11' booster and stock master cylinder and put in an adjustable proportioning valve to the rear brakes. that setup is nice because the booster mounts close to the firewall without a stand-off bracket and the master cylinder and reservoir is decent looking.
    i have this '38 diamond t 404 next to the shop that i may sell if anyone is interested. one year only with this style grille.

Attached Files:

j-jock, Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I have to admit...that truck is cool!!!