Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '47 Chevy Stylemaster (Pic Heavy!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '47stylemaster, Mar 15, 2011.

1. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And so its out there, this is my bus as of now:
    [​IMG]

The car is a '47 Chevy Style-master and my grandfather had this car, as it was given to him from the first owner, in return that my grandfather drive him to church on Sunday, and the store once a week, as he was to old to drive, my grandfather passed away about 8 years ago, and has been sitting in our shop ever since, and I am the only one that really ever showed interests in it, so my mom gave the car to me. Its all OG and STOCK! Almost everything works, only about 50k miles on it! As of right now, the car runs, drives, ect... It pretty much needs a few things, like for example, the motor needs a good tune up, needs new tires, seat belts, and a few other little things that has broken and/or fallen off in the last 64 years! I drive it down the road and back at least 4-5 times a month, to keep things turning, ect. I have been working on a '67 VW bus, that is undergoing a restoration, that I plan to use as a daily driver, but budget and time is pretty tight right now. So I wanted to get this car up to date, road legal and ready to drive daily to High-School. I don't get my permit, until 3 months, and I don't think my bus is going to be ready in time, so I wanted to have this car ready to cruise with ease.
    So its out there, the motor and trans are both OG as well. As of now its running pretty rough, and I don't think its running on all cylinders. What would the correct way to go about giving this motor a really good tune up? What should I look into, as far as seals, and gaskets? What should I be looking into at all!? Other than that, I think I may need new motor mounts, or they need to be tightened up, or I need a new clutch, because, It sounds horrible and shakes pretty good on take-offs and in reverse. Note: I'm not as familiar with chevy motors as I am Vw motors...

Help would be appreciated!

Other than that, is this the right place for a "stock" type car? Also, sorry for being such a newbie...:p

Thanks,
    -'47

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

I'll get more pictures up, tomorrow so you guys know a little bit more of what I have to work with...

Thanks,
    -'47

3. fleet-master

fleet-master

I can't see your pics :eek::eek: your car sounds pretty cool ..would love to be able to see it too...:confused:

4. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

Thanks, Fleet. I'm not sure why you can't veiw the pictures. I can see them just fine on this thread, even if I'm loged off.

Sorry I havn't got more pictures yet, I have been very buisy as far as working on this car. Yestureday I did get somthing accomplished, I changed the Oil/Oil filter, changed radiator fluid, fixed a flat tire, and cleaned the whole car out. While cleaning the car I found its origanall tool kit that came with the car! I found a bunch of cool tools, and survival things as well. So I organized all the stuff, and got my self a tool bag, and I'm now all set with tools, spare tire, jack, ect...

This dosn't seem like much, but this car is sure different from a VW! So it did take a while doing simple things, as I was learning as I was going along.

As I stated before, the car sounds/ and shakes horribly while on take offs or reverse, but only when I have my foot on the clutch. When the clutch is all the way out, it stops. So I figured it would be the pressure plate, and through out bearing. So I have been looking on "Chevs of the 40's" and found one that is 10-3/4" and another that is 9". The motor I have is origanall to the car... So whitch one would it be? And If I were to buy one, would I need to get a new disc and throw out bearing arm as well?

I'll try and get some pics to day if I can.

Help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    -'47

5. Orn

Orn

I can see your pics and the 47 looks like a nice project.

6. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Nice 47, good luck with it :)

7. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

Thanks everyone!

Pictures as promised:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And while digging around under the seat, I came across the Original license plate from '47, another set of license plates from '63 and a AAA map kit from '69!
    [​IMG]

Now, When I was on Chevs of the 40's I found the parts that I need, but I noticed that the clutch disc is about $80 Plus a core charge! Does the disk have to be engine specific, or can I just go down to schucks and pick up a cheap one?

Let me know if you want a particular picture, to help with my tune up...

And please remember that I'm a VW Aircooled guy... So this Chevy stuff is new to me:p

Thanks,
    -'47

8. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

Man do I feel dumb when I ask this question! How do you check/change the transmission fluid?

Yes I have searched, and I got nothing...

Help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    -'47

9. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Nice car and great story. The trans fluid does not have a dipstick but a filler plug on the side of the trans that you fill until it starts to leak out the hole. It is usually a square headed plug. Your clutch if it doesn't slip may be catching on the input shaft giving you the chatter. It may have a rust ridge or may be the throwout bearing. I would get a shop manual for the car especially since it is all stock.

10. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

Thanks for the reply! Now exactly what do you mean when you say "Your clutch if it doesn't slip may be catching on the input shaft"? You mean like the pressure plate prongs, or the through out bearing?

Thanks,
    -'47

11. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

12. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

Well have been driving it more, and seeing if taking off differently can change the problem! And it did! I got the sound to go away by, taking my foot off the clutch faster, and a little more gas as well. But the gas is a problem as well... for starters its kinda sticky, and if its at idle, and you press it to the ground the car dies... is that supposed to happen?

Thanks,
    -'47

13. Smokey2

Smokey2

BEE PROUD AS HECK!!! NICE SEE-DAN......I can Smell that old car Smell all the way here in Tennessee. Smells better than "NEW LEATHER".

Keep'er Going, My Man!
    Smoke' :p

14. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

15. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

So a few things, one I have made a nice shopping cart at Chev's of the 40's! So, I'm saving my Penny's! And another, my dad and I were discussing how much this car is worth... And judging from my research, I said about 15k... He said like 2k MAYBE... What do you guys think?!

Thanks,
    -'47

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  16. nice car! really doesn't matter what you think it's worth because if you sell it you will be bummed, maybe not today but down the road that you sold grampa's car. memories are priceless!

17. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

Oh nononono! DON'T get me wrong! I never plan on selling this car! This has been in the family WAY too long! And its WAY too bad ass! I'm just wondering how much this thing is worth!?

Also I want to put a radio in it... I'm thinking a retro sound radio? So there is no hackage, and it fits right in the delete plate... I also would like to put some side mirrors on it... What kind should I look into?

18. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats a nice car , i dig the vw bus to

19. JJGS

JJGS
    from Seattle

Good looking 47 you got!! :) Ive been building a 48 StyleMaster for a couple of years ...love them more doors :D

20. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I was talking about the clutch hub sticking on the input shaft. If you pull the lower cover on the bellhousing you can see if there is surface rust on the splines of the transmission input shaft where the cltuch disc moves back and forth when you depress the clutch. The gas pedal , I would disconnect the linkage and move the throttle by hand, if it sticks then it is the carb if it is not then something in the linkage is sticking. It also should not lose power when at full throttle it may need the carb rebuilt. It could be a bad fuel filter also. You have replaced the points and condensor, cap and rotor and plugs and wires, right?

21. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I'd say 3500-4500 would be about what it's worth without doing a thing to it. It's a four door so right there you take a little bit of a hit in value. I seen one that ran and drove last year for 1500. Body wasn't as nice as yours but same body style and it was a four door.

22. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

Thanks for all the helpfull posts! I shall have some updates in a few weeks!

Thanks,
    -'47

23. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

Well I have been playing with it more and the loosing of power and the chattering seem to go away after it warms up! Weird... So I'm working on getting a radio in this thing... Something that will just fit right in the delete plates... I plan on keeping it 6v and installing the speakers under the dash and under the seat... So I'm wondering if I can get like a remake lmc casset radio? But how would I beable to run it 6v?

24. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

25. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

26. sololobo

sololobo

what a great ol Chevy, some love kept this baby in nice condition. Most of your little stuff will work out as you learn and drive it more. JUst don't try driving over 50-55 on long stretches. 65 is probably top speed and the 216 which I think is in that is not prone to the freeway. Congrats on a nice cruzer. It is gorgeous. ~sololobo~

27. '47stylemaster

'47stylemaster
    from WA

Thanks! So I'm working on getting a radio in this thing... Something that will just fit right in the delete plates... I plan on keeping it 6v and installing the speakers under the dash and under the seat... So I'm wondering if I can get like a remake lmc casset radio? But how would I beable to run it 6v?

28. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

till ya get the bugs worked out (IMHO) dont worry bout the radio...

about your chatter issue....those old cars took a certain touch to drive...each one is different in it's own right...that said it may just need the trans/clutch pulled out and cleaned and the linkage disassembled and cleaned as well...

I hadda 50 chevy business coupe that was all stock (216 3 on the tree) and I thought for sure the trans was on its way out....turned out that the linkage box for the column shifter had La Brea tar as grease in it...I pulled it all apart, steeped everything in carb dip and reassembled with fresh grease and it worked like a almost new machine.

Call me vain....but that paint looks in dern good shape, a lil buff and rub and she should shine like a 64 year old star!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011