Register now to get rid of these ads!

47 Chevy Rear End Options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Irishman, May 7, 2013.

1. Irishman

Irishman

I've finally concluded that I need to just go ahead and swap out the rear end in my 47 Chevy Stylemaster, stick in a T5 transmission and do away with the torque tube.

So before I go visit my local PickNPull and spend some quality hours crawling around in the filth and grease, maybe you guys can help reduce the nasty time running around that yard trying to find stuff.

I'd appreciate any ideas as to what my options are for rear ends. What vehicle in the junk yard should I be specifically looking for that would be the correct width? I'm not that worried about wheel bolt patterns as at some point in the distant future I'll be upgrading the front end. I know some spring perch welding will be required regardless.

As to the T5 stick shift. Again, any specific target vehicles I should be looking for? I'll probably go with the Buffalo adapter plate to attach to my stock 47 bellhousing.

Finally, driveshaft....any suggestions?

Ideally, I'd find one magical vehicle that has all three components that fits my needs.

But hell, wrenching doesn't work like that!

2. I have a Camaro/Chevellish rearend in my '41 that will be coming out for a Jag, I think.
    There will be quite a few turrettop owners at Propwash this weekend.

3. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

The tri-5 rears are just about a bolt-in if my memory is working right today. I ran a '55 Chevy rear in my '47. They are good for up to about 300 hp and you can easily swap center sections to get different gear ratios.

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Just speculation here, but I'd compare dimensions with an S10. The four-wheel-drive axles are wider than two-wheel.

Additionally, certain years have the desirable T5 with the good shifter location.

Driveshaft lengths will vary depending on long-box, short-box, crew-cab, etc.

And, of course, they use the 5 on 4.75" bolt pattern that was the Chevy standard for so many years.

5. belair

belair

Got a 57 Chevy rear end in mine. Easy-peasy.

6. Irishman

Irishman

Ok, so I'll start looking around for a mid 50's rear end. That'll be my first preference.

Since most of the cars at the yard are perched up on their rear axles on old wheel rims, the actual thought of trying to pull one there filled me with dread.

I reckon if I do manage to find a trifive rear end, chances are it might be already pulled!

7. I am looking to go the same way, the crash box 3speed and 411 rearend stinks. The old fix is the above mentioned tri-5 chevy, a 67-69 camaro or 67-75 nova. All at 60 inches and nearly bolt in. Thoes are getting old and collectable pricing has set in. If you are going to change mounts any 60 incher should work. Try an Explorer with disc brakes, should be close. But with a stockish 6 only making 100HP any old rear will work, even someting on the weak side. You will also need new leaf springs, the originals are skinny and not up to the job without a torque tube to locate them. Posies sells ones that are modern width with skinny ends so you do not need a "spring kit" with new mounts and they put the wheel in the right place. t5 go the S-10/15 route. The real issue is electronic speed or mechanical. But with GPS speedos coming in fast and cheaper that will soon not be an issue. Let us know what you find.

8. robH

robH

I've got a spare 56 rear end - wish I was closer. Suggestion - try to find who, what shops, (in your area) are working on 55-57 street rods. That is how I found the one I have. Complete, drum-to-drum, and priced right. They were putting a 9-in in the customers car.