Register now to get rid of these ads!

47-54 Truck brake pedal help...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldCarPilot, Jun 30, 2008.

1. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Is there something that can be done to make the brake pedal not so much higher than the gas? You really have to plan your stops in these things!

2. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Go back to driving Honda's !

3. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Hmmm... Was that really worth the time to type? I haven't driven a honda since I was 16. But thanks anyway.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I had a 51 for a while and I know what you mean... the clutch and brake pedals are in an odd place.

the only way I could think of to make it better would be a firewall mounted master cylinder with a swinging pedal.

if you are driving a 48-54 truck it is always a good idea to plan your stops in advance anyways

5. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

Heat and bend?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It takes getting used to. After a few hundred thousand miles you don't notice it as much.

I agree with 49Ratfink's last comment 100% Unless you have swapped to disk brakes you have to plan your stops in advance and always give yourself room to stop or maneuver around trouble.

7. 53chevy

53chevy

I think what DeSoto is trying to say is, convert to power brakes! OK, yeah heat and bend the shaft. I have a 60's truck suspension and brake system on mine (it was there when I got back in '94) and I mated the original pedal to the shaft (did this when rebuilding the whole thing. I plan on bending it a little for FULL action. But, it's pretty good as is. You can alway strap a wood block to the gas pedal

Keep On Truckin'

8. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

The linkage has a clevis that can be adjusted. Its on the cylinder side of the pivot.