Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 47-54 Chevy pickup door weatherstrip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ronzmtrwrx, Aug 22, 2022.

1. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I’m looking for advice on which supplier sells the best fitting, softest door weatherstrip for a 54 Chevy pickup. I got reeled in to finishing a project that another shop had started for a local fella. (I knew better :D) The cab and doors were off the frame and already painted when it came to me. The owner had already bought a complete weatherstrip kit from a well known parts supplier. I glued the new door rubbers to the doors in the correct orientation as per the assembly manual. After hanging and adjusting the doors, the rubbers put so much pressure on the doors, it’s almost impossible to get the doors to latch all the way. It would be even harder trying to shut them from the inside. I finally decided a couple days ago to pull one of the doors back off and remove the rubber, then put the door back on and adjust. The door snaps shut with no resistance at all. It actually fits the hole better without the seal on it. So, if you’ve read this far into my post and have real world experience with obtaining the best fitting, softest, door rubber for these trucks, I’d appreciate your input. Thanks in advance. By the way, I used the search function here and found nothing.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

It’s been decades since my 50 chevy build but I do remember spending quite a bit at this supplier. Carters.
    I don’t recall having problems with my door fit. A lot can change with inventory in that amount of time.

https://oldchevytrucks.com/dp117.html

ronzmtrwrx likes this.
  3. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

On my '54 I looked at door / trunk weatherstrip for cars up to '65. You don't need
    anything large, as it is a tight fit. I made sure that the total length of whatever I bought
    was long enough to go around the door, and just 3M glued it on. I believe the brand
    I used was called Sofseal, which is very "squishy". It did take some effort to close the
    doors at first, but after about a year, they close with two fingers. I also had to adjust the
    thickness of the rubber bumpers, testing a variety that I had on hand. Unfortunately,
    it is mostly trial and error. Good luck and don't give up. Bob

ronzmtrwrx likes this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

I think now days you have to look at restoration places like mentioned above, LMC, etc. softer may not be what you really want, just thinner or properly contoured?

ronzmtrwrx and Petejoe like this.

5. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Thanks for the replies. I think what the owner bought is just too thick. I’ve watched several YouTube videos on the subject and I’ve seen them put on two different ways. The company where these came from actually have a video posted and it looks like they have theirs oriented differently than the others and differently than the original assembly manual. The profile looks the same but they’ve turned it. If I would have had the doors mounted before I went to Louisville I probably could have found a substitute there by comparing what I have now. I do know this, that 3M glue is a serious pain in the arse to get off after removing the rubber.

6. Precision makes good products. Steel has good ones. Steel,is pricey.

ronzmtrwrx likes this.