Register now to get rid of these ads!

460 Ford???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. We were building a '72 Torino stock car many moons ago and we didn't think the tired 351W would cut the mouseturd. I stumbled on a '69 Marquis with a 429, so the die was cast. Pulled the heads off it, HUGE valves and ports and those combustion chambers. New gaskets and a Chet Herbert solid lifter cheater cam and we were set.

By next season that was tired and a borderline junkyard motor from the start. A 460 was found and a made into a 496 stroker, nothing could catch it on the straights at Islip.

milwscruffy likes this.
  2. Thanks for the help.

UOTE="THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, post: 11717397, member: 34137"]Just a ballpark guess with that stroker crank- 12.5:1

It is impossible to accurately assess without knowing the compression height and dome volume, even if the combustion chamber of the D3VE- heads is stock.

Knowing what the original builder's intentions for the engine was may shed a clue as to how much squeeze he put into it.[/QUOTE]

3. Bore scope confirmed a large dome and .030 pistons. I may yank a head to do some measuring,

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Was the PO going to run it on alcohol? It may be higher than my original estimate. 14 - 15:1???

5. No clue, this coming week I think I'll pull the heads and see what is what. I'll post pictures once their off. At least that way I can confirm bore size along with the dome size. I heard the builder at one time had a 10 flat F 150 , so at this point all bets are off until I can confirm more parts.

6. RmK57

RmK57

underside of the piston should have a part#......maybe.

7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have been successful making a mold of the domes using plaster to get the cc's. Make a dam around the land using masking tape and fill with plaster; when it hardens spray the inside with paint and fill with fluid to measure the cc's. Might as well measure the deck height clearance while you're at it.

milwscruffy likes this.
  8. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

9. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

10. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

my buddies and i have had a few 460 engined cars,, just buy a 69-71 linc mark 3 for 3-400$ pull the eng and 375 hp w/c-6 cheep, no wild cams or carbs. i have one in my 34 5w now w/boss 9 heads, cool looking, great motor. have stuff to build 2 boss 9 engs. if interested...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.