Register now to get rid of these ads!

460 Ford???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powrshftr

powrshftr

I don't think you need power steering Mark.Here are the reasons why:

1:A model 'A' is a very light car to begin with,which will keep the steering effort light (the last fenderless coupe we built ended up at 2500lbs with full interior,stereo,and a 351C/C4 combo,which is a heavyweight also)

2: The engine setback is considerable on a Hot Rod such as an A.Look at a factory car such as a Mustang for example:There are 2
    Spark plugs forward of the centerline of the front wheel.All that weight is directly over the front wheel.In a Hot Rod like your 'A',your motor will be set back almost 2 feet farther than a production car,setting lots of that weight back toward the rear of the car,and easing your steering considerably.

3: Most Hot Rods traditionally run relatively narrow front rubber,compared to the 255 to 275-ish wide front rubber that comes on factory cars.With skinny tires up front with a small contact patch,they're a lot easier to steer at low speeds.

4: Ford power steering has traditionally been pretty shitty.

5: All that power steering junk is going to ugly-up the front end of your otherwise completely badass blower motor!

Just my $.02 worth,but I would save the money and the hard work for something else that is going to make the car go faster or look better.:)

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

2. I have a 460 in my rod as well; I agree power steering is not necessary. Once the tires roll, it will steer fine. It is a bit sluggish to try to turn the wheels while the truck is just setting in place in the garage. But it's doable.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

yea, wasn't to hot for the ps deal anyway, I was just thinking of the heavy engine.
    Ok, so I need to run a pulley for the alt, and fan, much better..
    so how do I run a pulley for them ?
    behind the bottom blower pulley ?
    thanks

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My '69 460 came with the power steering pump that fits between the dampener and the front cover. The snout of the crank goes through it and drives it. You would need the cover and the pump. But no belt drive.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have one of those set ups on an engine out of a 69 lincoln.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd never dis the 'Lima' big fords and I've owned 2 of them. Always impressed by the performance of a 429CJ too. That said, and I didn't read every reply (gave up about the 4th page), I always thought an injected version from a later model F-250/350 would be a great fit to a heavy cruiser custom. I was able to knock down 15MPG at 70MPH empty with an 89 F-250HD. Essentially a heavy barn door so smaller, lower, lighter, geared right with OD, and nice power too. Some friends of mine were always baggin on me about my truck, how their Vortec small motors would eat me for lunch any day, blah, blah, blah. One day I'm at a red light with my open trailer (empty) hooked up and the most obnoxious chin wagger of them all pulls up. "I'm ready, let's go!!" I looked over and said, "I got 1800lbs of dead wt and you wanna race. What a candyass." "That's your problem, we're goin!!" "Fine but I don't wanna hear no cryin." By the top of 2nd gear I was nearly pulling away from him, but it was essentially a dead heat. Got several ph calls later and the next day about what I did to him. "Did you sneak some juice on that pig?", and "How were you able to cheat him like that?"

All stock, 89 F-250HD, 2WD std cab, 3.55 rear gears and oversize (taller) tires. The lone Mopar truck caught me on the Xway one day too but w/out the trailer. We went from a 45 roll and were dead even to just under 80MPH, then I grabbed the trailer brake (brake lights unlock the convertor!) and he swore I was sprayin it I left him so bad. I said I'd give him all the money I had on me if he could find nitrous on my truck, and I was on my way to buy some parts with well over $1500 on hand, but the hook was I'd get his if he didn't. He had like $350.

If you like em you won't go wrong with those monsters. My build preference will almost always be the BBC, but again you'll never hear me dis the Limas.

7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Yup, they go good in pickups. In fact mine goes better 'n it stops so I have to watch it.

[​IMG]

8. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

so does anyone have a picture of the bottom pully set-up, and know where I can find what I need ?
    Thanks guys..

9. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

very interesting great info

10. chromeazone

chromeazone

I know this is a hot rod forum and practicality has no place here, but I think a 460 in an A Sedan is way over kill. Sucker is HEAVY! Unless you are going for curb appeal, that combo reminds of an old buddy who put a 354 Hemi in his '57 BelAire because he wanted something different! Had to put your hands on the dash when coming to a stop to keep from hitting the windshield. (Front heavy as hell! 57 Chevs had 283's)

I put a great 460 & C6 in a '65 F-150. Had to fiddle with crossmember and get driveshaft shortened but it was a real stump puller and didn't take much to break tires loose. Only problem was it really SUCKED gas! (With 4 barrel, but Hey, it's 460 inches.) I sold truck after about 4 months and wished I'd gone with a 351W or 302 instead.
    Unless you are towing a trailer with the A, lots of SBF's can make good HP.
    That's my two bits!

11. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Here a picture. They were used on '68-'69 Lincoln Continentals. You'll have to find one in a junkyard or swap meet. Part's stores won't carry them.

I don't think power steering would be a necessity on a rod. My '69 F250 never had power steering. It's fairly heavy with an FE up front. Parking lot maneuvers require 2 hands, and trying to shift and steer around a corner at the same time takes some coordination. If you have 2 functional arms, I wouldn't worry about it.

Attached Files:

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yeah that's what I had. i threw mine away as i didn't want power steering. But it was kind of clean I thought.

13. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Thanks guys for all the input,
    I'm looking for a picture or link to where I can find
    the lower blower pulley with the accessory pulley running behind it,

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How about TBS ?

15. That is way cool. Would like to get my hands on one of those setups.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Thanks saltflats, I just looked at there web page, Ill call them tomorrow

17. Had a 460 in a '75 f150 and never had a problem with it. Changed the timing gear set to the earlier 429 set up and it was more fun to drive than any pickup i've owned since. That was 33 years ago.

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

The earlier timing set (or aftermarket) really wakes these motors up.The stock setup was configured to run 9 degrees retarded to kill off a bunch of torque right off idle and smooth out the power delivery for the blue hairs who bought all those big Lincolns and Thunderbirds.
    I'm told that the timing set swap can be worth nearly 40 hp and roughly the same amount of torque.Thats a pretty good return on your investment for a timing chain and gears.
    That's why I love these motors so much:They are dirt cheap to buy,and with a bare minimum of modifications they make absolutely stupid,axle-twisting torque that should make any hot rod feel like it's been rear ended by a freight train.

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

OahuEli likes this.
  19. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Is anyone here running a blower on a 460 street motor ?

20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I would like to add some follow-up info after living with this 460 / C6 combo in my '46 Ford for a while now. All the weight on the front end necessitated me to convert to disc brakes ($317 kit from Speedway) . But my biggest challenge was vapor lock in the carb. I could drive this truck all day down the freeway but if I got off at an exit ramp and came up to a stop it would stall out and crank forever before it would start. If left to cool down it would start OK again.

To solve that problem necessitated TWO fixes:
    a fuel return line tee'd into the carb fuel line

AND

Installing heat crossover block-off plates in the aluminum intake.

The return line needs an .080" restriction in it. I use a generic Carter electric fuel pump with it.
    I ordered a set of intake gaskets off the ionternet. But I did not want to trust the gasket alone to not burn throiugh eventually so I made stainless steel block-off plates of .030" sheet. I imbedded the plates into the gaskets using a 12-ton press.

My vapor lock problem is solved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  21. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

A HUGE(!!!) THANK YOU to all who participated in the re-posting of this thread! This info, being not as popular as certain other 'brands', tends to slip through the cracks & get 'lost'! It needs this 'revival' from time to time, if for no other reason than to present other alternatives! Anyway : Thanks again!!!

22. Hey guys, I have some basic questions:
    1.How do you I.D. which year and cu. in. I have?
    2. I believe I have a 460, I have tried to advance the timing "by ear", at idle.
    runs great and smooth, until I get on it.Detonates like crazy but really responds.
    to get rid of the pinging it needs to be retarded, and labors at idle.
    This is a stock motor,Is this because of the timing chain set that is talked about in earlier posts?
    [​IMG]
    Here is the motor in question.Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

23. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Looks like it still has the build tag next to the coil. That will tell you the displacement and year on the first line.

If it's an early ('68-'71) engine, the pinging is likely from low octane gas in a high compression engine. The 429 had 11:1, the 460 10.5:1. The timing chain will a small effect, giving 4° later intake valve closing with the late style crank sprocket. In an old engine, carbon build up can make it worse. The head casting number is on the top of the exhaust port next to the cover rail. C8VE, C9VE, and D0VE were the early high compression heads.

Cleaning/polishing the combustion chambers will help. A cam with more duration (later intake valve closing) will reduce dynamic compression at low rpm. Or a rebuild with dished pistons for a compression ratio more compatible with pump gas.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Optimum timing at idle has little to do with the amount of spark advance required at part throttle and WOT. At the FoMoCo Dynamometer labs we spent hours and hours of dyno time trying to get it right while reconciling best spark against octane requirements. I suggest going to a stock spark curve and playing with the initial advance a few degrees and playing with the part throttle vacuum advance can a turn or so in the hex adjuster to make things optimal for your location (altitude) and climate.

25. The tag reads:429 72 11

26. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

1972. Those had a 1 year only head, full open 92cc chambers, 8.5 compression ratio. They were detonation prone, and replaced for '73 with a closed chamber of 96cc.

Like Flyer said, timing by ear is not a good way to do it, as the timing that runs best at idle is not the best under throttle. Get a light and time it properly.

If you can't get rid of the detonation with proper timing, you may want to consider doing a head swap. The common D3VE heads will give about 8.2 compression, and the quench area gives better torque and detonation resistance, but the exhaust ports choke above 4000 rpm. The early heads will give it around 9.7 compression with the '72 pistons, and good flow, but they are harder to find, and more expensive.

27. I don't have detonation under power when I retard the timing, but the motor sounds like it is laboring at idle. I'll check the timing with a light. Thanks.

28. Old thread new question. I acquired a rebuilt d1ve ( 10 1/2 :1 compression ) 460 with d3ve heads. Anyone know what the compression ratio is with theses heads on it ? For the record it's a 514 stroker motor with domed pistons. It's been sitting fresh wrapped up for the last 12 years and I heard the builder has passed away. Looking for a ball park figure as to what the compression ratio is for re-sale purposes. I'm a Chevy kind of guy and figures are hard to come up with on these. Thanks for any help.

29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Just a ballpark guess with that stroker crank- 12.5:1

It is impossible to accurately assess without knowing the compression height and dome volume, even if the combustion chamber of the D3VE- heads is stock.

Knowing what the original builder's intentions for the engine was may shed a clue as to how much squeeze he put into it.

30. I was told it is a fairly radical build, more for drag than street. Would be great to have a build sheet or the ability to talk to him, but both are out of the question with his passing. I'm going to bore scope it tomorrow and see if I can find any part numbers on the pistons. Trying to avoid taking the long block apart seeing it's all buttoned up nicely. I do know it has Scorpion roller rocker's on it, and that's about it. Came with a tunnel ram and 2 - 600 Holleys and Accel dual point distributor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.