Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 46 Plymouth build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daliant, Jun 3, 2012.

1. 48plysled

48plysled

I'm diggin it should look awesome when its done. Got to love the late 40's mopars. Can't beat the lines.

2. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

How did you get the ribs in the floors? My floors are rotted in my plymouth and your floors look great.

3. sololobo

sololobo

I love these Plymouth coupes Cool city! ~sololobo~

4. daliant

daliant

5. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

good job keep the pics coming

6. farmer12

farmer12

Great looking Mopar, and keep them pics coming!

7. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

What else can you tell me about the Durango/Dakota exhaust manifolds?

My first old Plymouth was a '48 coupe, then a "51 3 passenger business coupe, now a '50 3 passenger business coupe. Seems I got REAL lucky in the rust department on all 3 of 'em.

8. daliant

daliant

What do you want to know about the manifolds?
    Yeah rotten floors and rockers seem to be the norm on these 40's/50's era Mopars.

9. daliant

daliant

Wow its been a while since I've updated this thread, had to do some work on my truck plus it's been a little cold around here so the '46 got put on the back burner. Anyway here's a little progress, got the "new" trunk floor burned in, fit the new gas tank and rebuilt the sub structure under the trunk latch area. Still have more work to do around the latch area though.
    Here's the pics:
    100_1250.jpg

100_1251.jpg

10. jimstro16

jimstro16

Good looking car man, I like it. How long before your up at Lancaster speedway with it?

11. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

Lookin good bud

12. santa28a

santa28a

With the radiator move, have you just swapped it from the back of the support to the front plus lowered it down? will the front clip fit OK?

13. daliant

daliant

Thanks man, I'm shooting for late spring if all goes well.

14. daliant

daliant

Thanks man.

15. daliant

daliant

The fenders fit fine and the hood latch clears, the horns will need to be relocated and I'm assuming the sheetmetal "ductwork" between the grill and the radiator will need to be trimmed, I haven't fit those pieces yet.

16. daliant

daliant

Little update:
    Corner getting patched up
    100_1258.jpg

Inner quarter panel all prepped to be welded in (sorry it's a little blurry)
    100_1264.jpg

Finally something solid to hang the rear fender on
    100_1270.jpg

100_1268.jpg

Had to modify the bottom of the fender to fit the modified body
    100_1269.jpg

17. daliant

daliant

We all like bare metal pics right?
    100_1301.jpg

100_1303.jpg

Even blurry ones (I'm a car guy not a photographer)
    100_1304.jpg

It doesn't look all that bad with the bottom cut off does it?

scotty t likes this.
  18. daliant

daliant

On the road again!

19. daliant

daliant

Still needs some work though, mainly paint on the lower half of the body but at least now I can take it for a little spin around the block
    100_1312.jpg

100_1306.jpg

Haven't touched the trunk yet, the lower 2" are rotten on both sides inside and out
    100_1308.jpg

Gotta tidy up the wiring still and get rid of the silver paint on the air cleaner
    100_1310.jpg

20. n847

n847

Damn Dude that thing looks bad ass! I love that air cleaner!

21. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Lovin' the Plymouth build. That thing is cool.

22. n847

n847

I love the radius'd wheel wells!

23. daliant

daliant

Thanks guys
    The radius'd fenders were a product of necessity, I'm running an 8 3/4 out of a truck so it's about 2" wider than stock on each side which didn't leave enough clearance for the tires without trimming the opening. Normally I'm not a fan of radius'd fenders but on this car I like the look. The original fenders that were on the car when I got it were radius'd but the edges weren't rolled over so they flopped around a little, on the replacement fenders I rolled the edges which stiffened them right up.
    The air cleaner cost me 20 bucks and does a good job at making the 318 look a little less out of place. Need to paint it black though.

24. farmer12

farmer12

I like what you've done so far, nice job. At least you get to drive it around the block......keep up the good work!

25. daliant

daliant

Thanks farmer
    After a little spin around the neighborhood and some tuning I did the obligatory nice long smokey burn out with it, I was grinning for hours after that.

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

kool build subscribed

27. daliant

daliant

Here it is with some paint on it, haven't painted the rear fenders yet planning on some bigger tires (pie crust slicks) in the back so I might have to open the fenders up a bit more.
    100_1335.jpg

Got rid of that nasty silver paint on the air cleaner and wrapped up the wiring harness.
    100_1314.jpg

If all goes well this winter I'll be dropping a nice 360 into it and building a set of fenderwell headers for it. stay tuned.....

28. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Most of these late 40's/early 50's Mopars I've seen with the smallblock in them have moved the motor off to one side for steering box clearance, but I see you've recessed the box in the frame an inch? Have you got any new pics of how that looks? Were you able to center the motor or is it still offset to the right? I was going to suggest black wrinkle finish for the air cleaner, but I see you've already painted it. Looks good too!

29. daliant

daliant

Don't have any recent pics, camera needs batteries. The engine is offset to the right by about 1 1/2" which is typical on these cars with a small block mopar engine and stock chassis/steering box. I wasn't too concerned about the engine not being centered, every mopar built during the muscle car era has the engine offset to the right for steering box clearance, it's not really noticeable unless your looking for it. By moving the steering box over it just made more room between the exhaust ports on the head and the steering column. I eventually want to build a set of headers for this car and I wanted as much room as possible for the tubes, especially the rear port on the drivers side which points right at the steering column.

30. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I guess when there's that little left of the rockers, it's no sin to bob 'em off. LOL Man that was a rusty ol' buggy there. I wouldn't have had the guts to take that one on.

Regarding the wheel wells, I can see the necessity of hogging them out with the wider rear end. Personally I feel these cars handle better with the rear end slightly more narrow than stock though & I feel the front suspension should be wider.

Rather than just notch the frame for steering clearance, I'm considering widening the front of the stock frame. I think a wider front stance with skinny front tires would look good too. Since I gotta bend or re-make the steering arms anyhow I'm not worried about the Akerman changes. I intend to stretch the wheelbase slightly too, so that'll affect the wheel openings in the rear, but also allow more radiator clearance up front.

Also I'll either put rack & pinion on it or add an idler arm and relay rod. The stock unequal length tie rod setup is scary. Finally I hate kingpins and will be looking to put ball joint spindles on. I'm not sure if I can get the right setup, but if it can be done, I suspect that someone else has already done it. I don't want to change the a-arms, as I like the directness of the metal bushing pivots. Ya gotta grease them, and they're not cushy, but they won't mush out under pressure like rubber suspension bushings.