Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 46 Ford truck cab mounts,wood or rubber ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wfopossum, Sep 28, 2020.

1. wfopossum

wfopossum

I'm gonna be welding in a new floor on my 46 half ton and was wondering if anyone has used rubber cab mounts instead of wood ? It seems like it'd dampen some vibration. I have access to some flat 1/8-1/4 inch thick rubber pieces I can cut to fit.Is this a good idea or bad ?

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Budget36

Budget36

My '42 I had, had the original worn belting under a 2" or so wood block. That would be a lot of 1/4" stacks of rubber to keep situated. Maybe a hard, large single piece might work okay.

4. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

In my experience, vibration isn't an issue with the correct wood blocks. Although a solid rubber block would most likely work fine, the 1/4" rubber pads under the wood blocks and compressed springs securing everything help to prevent vibration from transmitting into the cab and work just fine.

5. wfopossum

wfopossum

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll stick with wood.The rear mounts look solid,so I'll just replace the front blocks.Does anyone have measurements for the blocks ? The originals are pretty rotten.