Register now to get rid of these ads!

'46 Ford truck - '40 front clip ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustm52, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Kustm52

Kustm52

Seems like I recall this being discussed in the past, but I've been unable to find it through searching.. Will a '40 front clip work on a '46 truck? And, what are the differences in the car a truck clips (40)?

Thanks....

Brian

2. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

A '40 passenger nose is longer than the P/U nose, so it's not a direct bolt in. If you compare the car vs. P/U skirt area in the front fender between the back of the wheel opening to the running board, you'll see the difference. The pick up also has the "hood trim" rolled in the sheet metal while the car hoods have the stainless trim. The '40 Standard car grill and P/U grill interchange.

What I have read on here before is that a '40-'41 P/U nose will bolt up to the later cowl, but the frames are longer on the '46 P/Us, so modifications need to be made.

Search again, it's been discussed before.

3. rainh8r

rainh8r

40-47 cabs will work with 40-41 p/u front sheet metal on the early (35-41 truck, 35-40 car) frame. The later frames with twin leaves up front don't like the earlier sheet metal at all.

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I once built a 46 cab on a 40 passenger car frame with 40 front pick up fenders. goes together like it should

5. 47 jailbar

47 jailbar
    from Mn

The cabs are the same. The frames are different. The box width's are different. 49'' on the 42- 47 fords and 46'' on the 40's. You may want to build what you have. You should PM me.

6. Kustm52

Kustm52

Thanks for all the information. Looks like I need to start gathering parts now.. anyone got a '40 truck front clip????

Brian

7. Kustm52

Kustm52

Hmm... wonder if I could splice the cowls together and make this work??

[​IMG]

Brian

8. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I've seen it done, and it makes a good-looking truck, but it isn't anything like easy.

9. thatredcaroutside

thatredcaroutside
    from Decatur,AL

Remember "The Waterboy" - You can do it !!!

10. Kustm52

Kustm52

I bet this would be easier... and then find a Mercury tailgate for it..

[​IMG]

Brian

11. rpol7966

rpol7966

You have been given some good information. I'll give you my input. As has been stated, the '40-'41 pickups used the same frame as '35-'40 passenger cars. The car frames have extra brackets for body mounts. They just need to be removed. The truck cabs are basically the same '40-'47 including larger trucks. The larger trucks had the fuel tank under the seat with the filler neck out the left side behind the door. The floors in the cabs that had fuel tanks, were recessed about 1 1/2 inches to make more room for the tank.
    The front fenders for the cars and trucks are different BUT the car fenders can be used. The car fenders are different where they bolt to the cowl. Their flange is angled inboard to mate with the angle of the cowl. The truck fenders have the same type flange but it is bent at a 90 degree angle. Car fenders can be used if this flange is dollied over to 90 degrees. The bolt pattern is different on the flanges. The trucks have just two large holes, one towards the top near the junction of ther hood and fender and the other toward the bottom for attaching the fender to the cowl. The car fenders have three attaching holes top, bottom and center. This information was provided to me by a long time Ford enthusiast that is very wel respected in the hobby.
    My truck has both a car and truck fender on it.