Register now to get rid of these ads!

46 Ford Front Brakes Locking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ez_ryder, May 22, 2011.

1. ez_ryder

ez_ryder
    from Phoenix

Hello all. I am from Phoenix, AZ, new to the Hamb and need some advice. I have a 1946 Ford Coupe with new drum brakes all around, new brake hoses, new master cylinder, basically everything is new. After driving for a short time, maybe 15 minutes, the front brakes begin to get tight and then lock up.

I have backed off the adjustment bolts all the way out to see if that helped and it still locks up. The exhaust runs under the passenger side so there should not be a heat issue. The car won't even move under the power of the engine.

It seems that after 8 hours or so the brakes release and all is normal again, until I drive it! Is this a heat issue with expansion, master cylinder adjustment issue or something else?

I recently installed a dropped axle and had to remove the hubs to do this. I am not sure if this contributed to the problem or not.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep lack of freeplay in the M/C pushrod would be my first thought.

4. ez_ryder

ez_ryder
    from Phoenix

Wow, super fast responses thanks guys! 345, that post was helpful not sure how I missed that one. As soon as the front brakes free up, I'll get it back in the garage and check that push rod.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Check to make sure that the pedal has a return spring on it. Sometimes the weight of the pedal can take up the play in the push rod. The pedal should not be touching the M/cyl piston until you apply the pressure to overcome the spring.

6. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

X2 what TOMMY said. DD

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

MASTER CYL.....either defective, or not enough play in the pushrod. Guess who learned THAT lesson the hard way !!!!!! 4TTRUK

8. ez_ryder

ez_ryder
    from Phoenix

Yep, you guys nailed it.

Push rod needed adustment to add more play. No more lock up and brakes are easier to apply now. Lesson learned! Thank you.