Register now to get rid of these ads!

46 Ford flat six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willowbilly3, Mar 19, 2008.

1. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I found a 46 Ford pickup with a 6 banger yesterday. It had a minor wreck and needs one corner fixed. I have never ran one, just wondering how it would be for a cruiser. On freeway? Gas consumption? I don't have shit just setting around for occasional use, if I have to license it I want to make it a daily driver, at least for around town.

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

If it runs , it'll drive about like any pickup did in it's day. The 6 in-a-row motor was an excellent piece and would run with or ahead of the typical stock Ford V-8 at the time. Being in a truck, it's probably geared 4.11 or 3.92 : 1 which means it'll be a 50 m.p.h. cruiser at best. (It'll run faster than that but not comfortably). A slight improvement would be a 3.78 gearset (your banjo rearend is essentialy the same as passenger cars of the time-the difference being the truck has an open drive shaft;the cars had torque tubes. )

3. KomptonKid

KomptonKid

I have one in my '51 F-1. As stated, they were essentially the equal of the V-8's, about the same HP, might have had a bit less torque. Of course, not quite the soup up potential, but out of the box about the same. I couldn't live on the difference between it and the stock eight in my '46.

Speed equipment for it is rare and pricey, tho.

4. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

So I can swap a closed diff r&p into the open drive rear?

5. Check the ratio before you take it apart. I have a '46 truck rearend in my model A and it is already 3.78. I have a built ( 2 carbs, cam, dual exhaust, aluminum head) flathead six in my '51 car. It will pass a stock V8 in a hurry.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Available ratios in aproximate order of popularity were 3.78, 4.11, 3.54.
    Gears do not interchange with passenger closed rears because pinion snout is machined differently. New gears are pretty much extinct.