Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 46 Ford coupe UPDATE: NOW A TRADITIONAL CUSTOM

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatout51, Sep 7, 2012.

1. flatout51

flatout51

Well my girlfriend is pregnant and i was in need of a family car. So i got a 46 long door coupe! I want to build this car as cheap as possible and still have a reliable driver. I have a great Merc cranked 59ab and a 47 truck open drive floor shift three speed. I have a good banjo and an open drive conversion. I'm stealing all the breaks and spindles off of my model a build for the front... So I really dont need much other than small stuff. Here are some pics of it when i got it. Broken rear spring and all!

Attached Files:

2. dad-bud

dad-bud

Nice start to your 'family car'.
    Good luck with the build and make sure you post up pics of your progress.
    Cheers.

3. Flatout51,
    You cannot go wrong with a '46 Coupe. They are probably the sweetest car that ford ever built. Looks like you got a good start on it parts/build wise. It will make you an excellent family car. ;)

I have owned a lot of cars over the years and my favotrite hands down was my '46. You are going to like that car, I know it.

4. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Im just up the road and have a 47 tudor parts car. Let me l know if you need anything.

5. flatout51

flatout51

Thanks guys! Im really looking forward to driving this thing!! My dad has a basically restored 48 tudor so the cruises together should be fun!! T&A where are you located?!

6. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Located west of kci airport. Between platte city and parkville in the corn fields.

7. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

One of my 3 favorite body style cars EVER LOVE em'! Good luck with your build and remeber no matter how you build it drive the wheels off of it!!

8. I had to lay on my side to look at the pictures, but very cool. Best of luck.

9. flatout51

flatout51

For some reason when i use my JJ android app it turns my pics.... Oh im gonna drive it!! It will be my daily.

10. flatout51

flatout51

So i need a steering box... Mines full of water and locked solid..

11. draider

draider
    from Texas

Looks like the start of a nice car. Looking forward to more build pics.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

safety first with Family ride. good brakes, seat belts, etc.

13. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Since I was 14, I've had two 42-48 coupes, one 47 Merc convertible and one 47 Merc coupe. I love the style of those things - do it right and drive it well.

dj

14. flatout51

flatout51

Well I made a little progress... And a lot of waiting on MACs... Damn they take forever!!! But the motor and trans are in and new king pins and bushings. I wanna drive this already!!! Motor is a 59AB merc crank, ported, relieved, reground cam, 3 97s... Built sometime in the past... My cousin bought a 47 coupe out of texas when he was stationed in Mississippi in the air force. He drove it everywhere even all the way back to KC multiple times!! Till he shelled the trans. Sold the car to his brother who put a mustang II and 302 c4 in it and gave me the motor. All the before mentioned hotrod stuff was already done!!! Runs strong!! The trans is a 47 truck opendrive 3 speed floor shift. Should.make for a fun driver!

Attached Files:

Kage likes this.
  15. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Nice car, but please pay lots of attention to your girlfriend and the upcoming baby. You will never regret time spent with your children.

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  16. inlinr6

inlinr6

looks like a great start!

17. flatout51

flatout51

39ford... Oh dont worry. She works later than i do so i work while she is still at work and the baby isnt due till March. Im making dinner right now for her!!

18. flatout51

flatout51

All I've gotten done lately... Got my rear tires mounted. Stole some caps and rings from my dads 48 tudor!

Attached Files:

19. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Nice car to drive that newborn kid from the hospital to home in.

Looks great!

20. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Man, I have to get on the HAMB to see updates?! Do it!

21. flatout51

flatout51

Built some longer shackles today. $7.14 worth of material and an afternoon i got this!

Attached Files:

Kage likes this.
  22. flatout51

flatout51

Well i dearched my front spring and removed 3 leaves and it brought me to where I think it should sit... With all the remaining weight it should.be perfect. I want that late 40s early 50s taildragger stance.

Attached Files:

Kage and bet on black like this.
  23. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

You need some different tires for the front.......

24. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice looking car. Thanks for sharing the build.

25. 62rebel

62rebel

that's a nice car you got going there; one of my favorite styles.

26. flatout51

flatout51

The 46 is turning in to a poster child for Chassis Engineering INC.... I got their 302 c4 mount kit and their Low Rider rear parallel spring kit... Not so low though... I guess ill be buying some lowering blocks.... Any way, I have a rebuilt 302 c4 combo ready to put in just need to change the oil pan out. The 9" rear is out of a 60 F100 and is the exact width of the stock banjo and keeps 5 on 5.5 lug pattern. I went from banjo to 9" in less than 3 hours working by myself. Cant say enough about C.E.

Attached Files:

27. What happened to the flatty, 3 spd and banjo?
    Matt

28. flatout51

flatout51

My drive to work is an hour round trip in rush hour traffic through the middle of downtown Kansas city... If i couldn't do 80 mph im getting run over and this car is going to get driven everyday. The flattie 3 speed and banjo are all going back in my 28 A sedan.

29. flatout51

flatout51

Well I found an exhaust manifold that will clear my steering... 289 hipo manifold... And i got my lowering blocks in, 2.5" put it right where I like it. CE said the springs will settle approx 1".

Attached Files:

30. Looking good.............