Register now to get rid of these ads!

46 Chevy p/u cab stretched..anyone do it ? Photos ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by #1 Kawboy, Aug 21, 2012.

1. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

I' building a 46 Chevy fenderless p/u truck, dare I say "Bobber style" 'cause of the hatered for most of those that are raggedy pieces of junk.
    It will be painted, tan/black (body/frame) tall whitewalls/artillery (rear) skinnies/spokes (front) with hood/sides (exposed headers ) and a bed (a little shorter than stock), on a TCI model a frame that I have.

It will sit low (not like some of the manhole cover eating wrecks I've seen), I'm 6'4" 245, SOOOOoooooo...I wanna Z the frame so I don't cut the floor out. I want a 3" chop (give or take) which puts me at not fitting real good ! Wondering if I used 4 doors and cut/stretched each door out about 5-7 -8? inches how it would look ?
    Anyone ever seen one done like this ? Got a pic? photo-CHOP ?
    REALLY would like to see it, other than in my head !
    I know SOMEONE here will come up with something useful...
    Thanks GUYS !

2. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

WOW ! Really? 70+ looks and NOBODY'S got a pic or done it ?? Maybe I'm gonna have the first !!

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Honestly, Most of the time when someone stretches a pickup cab, the resulting changes to proportion can be seen from space and are usually less than flattering to the shape. That may be why you're getting very little play on this thread. I'm not saying don't do it, just saying prove me wrong. If it was mine I would do everything in my power to use every inch of space in the cab's stock configuration.

4. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

That's kinda why I was lookin' for pic...Good ...Bad ...Ugly.... Nice.... just wanted to SEE what has "happened' to one ...
    Oh well....

5. Leakie

Leakie

6. Kinky6

Kinky6

I can't link you to them, but there have been a couple of posts on this lately. Click on my name for stats, and look under recent posts. On page 1 is a post on '37-'38 extended cabs, and on page 2 is a post on 4-door trucks.

You ain't the first, but I should point out that if you want to have a quarter window behind the doors, and have it look "factory", you will probably have to cut up 4 extra doors to get your panels to look right. OTOH, if you have some seriously mad metal shaping skills, you might not need any extra doors. :rolleyes:

Good luck, Kinky6 :cool:

7. DrJ

DrJ

I'm contemplating channeling the body on my '40 GMC (same cab and frame) and I'm only 5'-9" in my dreams of my youth and barely fit now in the leg room department.
    I chopped the top 3 1/2" and if I channel it I will cut the seat down the same amount I channel it but I'm also contemplating moving the cab back the same amount I channel it and stepping the firewall similar to how most '33 and newer Fords are stepped for leg rom that doesn't affect the shape and size of the cab/body. I'm thinking about keeping the hood and lsectioning and laying the grill/radiator shell back to fit.

8. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Another plan that I had, extend the f/w about 4"
    Was wondering / thinking it might make it easier to exit with the longer door ...

9. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

10. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Doesn't or wont have 1/4 windows.... like a 50's 5 window does..thanks tho'

11. Leakie

Leakie

Thats what I thought, I didn't notice the stretch until I read that it was. It may look different in real life but it looks pretty good in the pics.

12. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Ahhh... I should have been a little more clear...I want to stretch the DOORS only, leave the "cab" alone (except for the extra inches that will go into the ROOF) so the whole thing looks pretty much the same as stock, just longer.
    Sorry.....

13. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Leakie's link and pics are what I'm looking for, only a side view would be AWESOME, a completed truck MORE AWESOMER !!

14. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Leakie, are the red and silver trucks with the stretched doors ?? If so it's almost un-noticeable !!

15. Leakie

Leakie

Yes, both of those trucks are stretched. I talked to these guys a few years back when I was thinking of doing a art deco truck and found that the cabs where too small for me. They sounded like decent guys, it was just too spendy for me. Try calling them they can give you the details.

16. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Sent 'em a email....try to get a set of doors.... LOTS less body work !!! And havin' to find a set to cut up !
    THANKS MAN !!

17. nukeman

nukeman
    from Michigan

Photochop I did awhile back. Don't know whose truck it is but the picture worked good to try what you are looking for. It's about 3 inches in the doors and an inch and a half-ish just behind the doors. If you open both pictures in your favorite photo viewer and flip back and forth it's easier to see where it's stretched. I'm not good enough to photoshop the fenders off it...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

18. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Thanks Man !! Helps out a lot....

19. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Here is another approach to the problem of leg room. I was going to try the method of fusing 4 doors together and stretching the roof. I decided that stretching the roof would end up making the roof look flat. So I cut the cowl off of another 37 Chevy truck leaving an extra 3" from where the hood would meet. I cut of my cab fire wall at the molding right behind the hood. When I welded the two together it made my cowl 3" longer between the hood and windshield. I still have to finish welding it in. 3" more foot room made the cab tolerable for me. I'm 6ft1 tall. This works great on a bobber truck. Here are before after pictures. The truck has a 3" chop as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Awesome I like that....

21. percifab

percifab
    from Dixon,CA

My dad stretched his 6" and chopped it 2". It will look more chopped with a stretch.

Attached Files:

22. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Looks good...nice work...I'm thinkin' I'll chop at 3-4" & lay the posts back a bit.
    Thanks man !

23. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I am doing my 39 chevy with a 6" stretch and a 2" chop.Leaving the back window the same as stock.I didnt lean the posts.I havent had time to work on it lately but i will see if i can get some pics on here.

24. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Please do cshades...

25. This is a 4 inch chop but the posts are not laid back
    <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014