Register now to get rid of these ads!

46 build finally moving forward

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 416Ford, Jan 16, 2008.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

Its been a hell of a long road for you and the car! But the end is getting closer...scuff and reshoot the front of the frame, get rid of the last traces of the blue!

2. 416Ford

416Ford

A little/LOT of help from a buddy of mine and we had the drive train back in the car in one afternoon.
    Suspension is back in and the front springs have been trimmed up so the car is closer to ride height now.
    Now it's time to put the sheetmetal back on so the painter can wet sand and buff it out. Can't wait to roll it outside and see how it really looks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

4. goodgarb

goodgarb
    from TACOMA,WA

:D
    Looks like you have done an amazing job and kept going despite huge setbacks, you will be getting out on the road soon and enjoying the fruits of your labor! Awesome

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lookin' great ! I wanna see it outside too !!

6. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Looks great, the paint looks like someone knew how to lay out the metallic. I have to agree on the tubing you fabed for the main rocker boxes, I made the mistake of buying them and cutting them up so bad to fit the contour of the running board I should of started from scratch! Never again!

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  7. koolkemp

koolkemp

I stole the idea for mine as well, after seeing how good it worked here :D Super strong will never rust out in my lifetime!

8. 416Ford

416Ford

The tube seems to work out very well. Not sure on how it matches up to the factory running boards since the first body man welded my boards on in wrong place. There was a gap between the tube and boards that I had to weld up last month when we realized he only stitch welded and filled the rest with mud.
    The door gap is nice and need to make a channel to mount the weatherstrip on or find a couple more of the original channels. Some of mine are wasted from the Michigan salt.
    Front end and doors going on Saturday and may push it outside for look. :)

9. 416Ford

416Ford

My loving wife help me put the deck lid on during the week and was scared to death about putting a scratch in the car.

My buddy Vance came by again this Saturday and we got a lot accomplish again. The doors fenders are now on. The fender bolts at the cowl fought me the whole way this time. Then fender welting was part of the problem but the cage nuts were the main problem.

Hood will be at a later date since I still have stuff to do in the engine compartment and don't want to duck under that all the time.

Pushed it outside for view finally.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow its really starting to look like a car,congrats! Do you hope to have it on the road this season?

11. 416Ford

416Ford

This season? Hell I'm shooting for July 1st. :D

12. 47 Tudor Guy

47 Tudor Guy

I surrender. You are going to beat me. I have done nothing again for months... Need some motivation for sure.
    Your care is looking awesome for sure! Good job!

13. 416Ford

416Ford

Don't give up yet Mike. Bodyman flaked on me again yesterday. Will not be seeing him ever again.
    Have someone else lined up to paint the interior stuff already, now I need to get my buddy over to wet sand and buff the car for me.

14. millersgarage

millersgarage

It's looking great!

gray wall tires, I hear they are all the rage....

15. 416Ford

416Ford

Thanks, I going to grind them down to so I can can have wide white walls. Thinking about painting the rims red to.

16. 416Ford

416Ford

Well one small heart attack and 100 degree temp will push a schedule around a little bit.
    Back at it now and I have the dash in and checked for smoke in the system last night. Non found so it was a good evening.
    Hope to fire it up again this weekend if all goes well.
    [​IMG]
    Water is from wet sanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 416Ford

416Ford

Well it's official. It's now a driver. Came back from the alignment and glass shops (windshield) on Wednesday, worked out the braking problem last night and will be taking it on a shack out drive tomorrow with a buddy leading the way.
    Interior is incomplete and door glass will be delivered Monday. Looks like the Gilmore car show is in my future.
    Wish me luck.
    [​IMG]

18. koolkemp

koolkemp

19. 416Ford

416Ford

Thanks Steve.
    Three trips to the alignment shop and we are waiting for our third shipment of glass(two strikes) so we can drive it in any weather and wash it.

Attached Files:

20. dhughins

dhughins

Awesome Looking ride man. I'm reading the title as a 46 but it looks closer to a 40. What year is it?

21. 416Ford

416Ford

The car started out life as a 46 and I installed a 41 front clip and dash.
    Was reading your post earlier. Don't let everyone steer you away from a 4 dr if it serves you a purpose. I don't have kids but it sure is nice to take friends for a drive and not have them climbing around the front seats. And some of them are bigger people to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  22. edhd58

edhd58
    from kentucky

Man I love what you've done with this. I have a 42 Fordor and just cant decide about paint or just clear over the original rust/paintfinish and put a nice interior. But OMG what you've done with yours sure does make me want to make mine look that good too.