Register now to get rid of these ads!

'46-'48 Ford Deluxe vs Super Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48Tom, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Biothree

Biothree

1946 Ford & Mercury's had the following numbers: 650,280 to 1,412,709. <O:p</O:p
    Two of my 2 door frames have the numbers 692058 and 1371828 respectively stamped on them. So one was built in August 1945 and the other was one of the last cars built in the 1946 car year. Both frames had the old style shocks.<O:p></O:p>

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

My '48 is in the 899 prefix series, so built and sold as a '48, it was apparently built 11-11-1947 at Edgewater with lever shocks.

3. Biothree

Biothree

Both of the '46"s have 99A as the prefix.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

All 239's '39-48 start with 99...they added a year prefix in maybe 1947, 799+1947 239, 899 is '48. A, C, M, and T type suffix on the 99 tell what the chassis was

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

i think most had the right side tail light installed, when turn signals were available as aftermarket items... Safety was another consideration; Unless it's in a museum, I don't think one will see a std with single tail light these days.

4TTRUK

6. A friend has an early 47 that has a 46 grill, and the side window trim, and crank out vent windows so they were available on 47's atleast early on.
    Matt

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

somewhere around '41 was a watershed for taillights...single light models (trucks, standard/special passenger) started getting dual lights for cars delivered to certain states to meet new local laws. At least passenger vehicles after '41 all got duals, probably to save trouble of dealing with local differences. Don't know about trucks.

8. Biothree

Biothree

I found something odd that you fellows may be able to answer. I had several rear fenders that were not usable so I took the tail light housings off (they all had left and right side tail lights). All of the tail light housings had one bulb except one and it had two bulbs. One of my parts cars was a 48 so my question is 1) did some '48's have turn signals, thus 2 bulbs, or 2) was this an after market upgrade?
    It certainly gave my the idea of using two bulb when I put my car back togather.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I believe all '48 type Fords had single two filament bulbs back there, allowing turn signals to be wired right in the same as most American cars of the fifties and sixties. Park lights were single but Ford offered a replacement socket for doubles as part of the Ford turnsignal kit. Double bulbs would fit pretty easily in a '48 tailight, could be a conversion just to get more candle power or a turnsignal conversion using a truck type switch meant for separate brake and signal bulbs.
    From memory, the Ford turn signal kit was actually post-production using '49-50 parts packaged with a special '48 conversion harness. The front socket conversion uses stock '50 type socket.

10. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I only skimmed the post but didn't see this difference....my 48 Coupe had chrome plated garnish moldings.

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Stock they were dash color, with I think the botton roll painted a tan along the upper edge of upholstery

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Was that Ford's "We're not gonna let this stinking Studebaker Champion thing off the ground" model?

-Dave

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yeah...remember Bruce McCall's fake 1940's car ads? He did one ad for the "Scumliner", showing a dashboard full of empty holes and such...
    These cars were really built for fleet sales and not for the public, so they were pretty rare. The "Deluxe" placed below "Super Deluxe" was the one for regular stingy people.

14. saxet

saxet
    from Texas

My '46 Super Deluxe had a gizmo mounted on the firewall with water hoses going to and fro under the hood, but Gawd knows it sure wasn't a heater!!! :)

15. psychotitan

psychotitan
    from LA

Figured I'd upload my 4 door 48 Ford Super Deluxe.
    [​IMG]

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

About taillight housings: Both my '47's housings have the stainless trim on top, but the right one has a large oval around the socket, making bulb changing easy.
    The left one, however, has a hole barely larger than the bulb, making it a real hassle to grab the bulb!

I know, I need to get some 1" surgical tubing to grab it with...but which year came with the larger access hole???

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Probably just multiple suppliers of that inner part.

18. [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My 47 Super Deluxe tudor.
    Badged as such. Two ash trays, two visors, horn ring, chrome trim on dash, two arm rests, cigerette lighter, radio, clock (still keeps perfect time!), two ash trays in back seat, "smoker's" windows in back, chrome on the tail lights. Push out vents.
    Brown wool interior, with carpet. No trunk light. Tube shocks in front, levers in back. Supposedly a 60,000 mile four owner car.

19. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

I know this thread has been buried for a while but I was wondering if someone could post a trunk pic of a 46 with a tool tray.
    I'm in the process of replacing the sheet metal in the floors and wanted to see how it looked.
    Thanks