Register now to get rid of these ads!

46-48 chevy steering repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigPoppaPump, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Has anyone ever rebuilt the stock steering in one of these. I piked up a 48 fleetline a few months ago in beautiful shape, but with a ton of slop in the wheel. Crawling under there & having someone move the wheel back & forth, it appears as if there is a bad bushing or something between the pitman arm piece & the piece that connects it to the tie rods via two bolts. I'll try to get a picture later...

Has anyone seen this? I found a "pitman arm bushing" (set of 4) on chevsof the40s.com . I'm thinking this might be it. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. 47.Poncho

47.Poncho

Starting with the pitman arm bushings is a good start. They are always loose there. The next area to address is the steering box. You can adjust them a bit to help but you may have to change out the box if it's really bad. After that check the tie rods. I've been dealing with this for a while.

3. Thanks. The steering box doesn't seem to be too bad from what we could tell. Mostly where the pitman arm connects. Seems like the bushings might be the best place to start.