Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 455 exhaust?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sprout, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Sprout

Sprout

My 47 Pontiac has a Buick 455 in it. Not exactly sure what I want to run for a exhaust system. With it being a big block I'll probably run 2½" pipe. What muffler do I use? Screenshot_20200805-142727_Facebook.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A205U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. The usual answer is....... "Everyone has their own taste for what sounds good."
    If you happen to hear another vehicle with a sound that you like, find out what it's got and copy that.
    Don't even bother to listen to Youtube videos. A smartphone doesn't have the microphone or recording range to playback anything close to the live original. Plus dinky, bookshelf, computer speakers are another limiting factor making them all seem about the same volume, when they are actually all over the place.

RealOG likes this.
  3. rusty valley

rusty valley

cool lookin car man !

Sprout likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me a cruiser like that is supposed to sound like a motor boat cruising along and not a mullet Camaro with cheap turbos. I'd say some decent and fairly long glass packs with tail pipes all the way back to the chrome tips sticking out from under the bumper.

I had 2-1/4 pipes under my 51 Merc with the 35oR Olds in it and was prepping it to put a 455 Olds in it. the 2-1/4 were a real tight fit under that one and probably would be under the Buick.

TrailerTrashToo, Sprout and egads like this.