Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 440 Mopar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, Sep 30, 2017.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Have a 440 with a 4sp trans and want to go with an automatic. Have heard conflicting stories on manual/auto Mopar crankshafts. Will an automatic fit up to a standard crank? I know going the opposite way requires some mods. Thank you.

2. I had a 63 Plymouth with a factory 383 / T10 4 speed. Put a 69 440 mag in it and I would swap in a manual shift torqflight ( sp ) once in a while. I had no issues.

3. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

As long as the tranny was made for for a 6 bolt crank, your good to go .

4. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some cast cranks were not drilled deep enough for a pilot bushing. Makes it harder to go from an automatic to a stick. You need a special bearing. But I have never heard anyone having a problem going from a stick to an auto. If your engine is '72 or older it has a forged crank. I have never seen a problem either way with them. Gene.

5. 73RR

73RR

Crank has nothing to do with the fitment of the TF to the block. There is a difference between forged and cast crank converters and depending on the original application I have seen forged cranks as late as 1974 although the service manuals will show the last forged crank in 1971. There are multiple converter weighting systems depending on the actual model year if dealing with a cast crank. If you have a forged crank then any pre-71 converter will work and flexplates are readily available. B&M does have a 'weighted' plate for mix-n-match assemblies.