Register now to get rid of these ads!

440 Marine Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brado, Nov 18, 2008.

1. brado

brado
    from Ohio

Searched the web, searched 440 source, and searched the boards here, so I'm finally gonna post my question. I'm looking to buy a 440 marine engine from a guy and wondered if there was any difference in the std. 440 block and marine block besides being stamped with a marine badge. The stampings are the same for the year (2536430). I'm just looking at the block right now. If the heads and intake work for me I might use them... but getting back to the question.. Is there any considerable difference in a 440 marine block and standard? What is a good offer for one? Couple hundred?

Any help appreciated..

B

2. 73RR

73RR

No difference. If it is clean then same value as pass car.

Be sure to check the internal condition of the water jackets if the engine was in salt water. That salt is bad news.

3. brado

brado
    from Ohio

Cool, thanks..

I did finally find some information.. As posted in a similar post on here.. The engines spin backwards. Just wasn't sure if the Chryslers were any different.

4. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some marine engines are reverse rotation, some not. Most single engine setups are standard rotation; dual engine setups one of each. Any engine that was raw water cooled, no matter if used in freash or salt water, needs the cooling jackets looked over really well for corrosion. The best marine blocks are the ones that were used with a heat exchanger.

5. BigChief

BigChief

Not all marine dual engine set-ups have counter rotating engines.....many times (most dual I/O's and many inboards - especially when using Velvet-Drives and Crusader transmissions) the motors are both conventional rotation and the prop counter-rotation is taken care of in the lower units or transmissions.

-Bigchief.