Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 430 MEL in 39 ford coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by yblock292, Dec 1, 2013.

1. yblock292

yblock292

Ok got the chassis done, body in primer, but biggest issue is exhaust. Gotta run fender well headers, but issue is running exhaust off headers to the ass end. Don't want any exhaust showing under the car. Right side is not a problem but left side with the pedal assembly is a mess. Thinking i may have to run open headers with baffles, even tried to come up with a way of running the left side exhaust to the right side and have both pipes run together out the right side of the car. Any ideas! Its a monster motor set back 6", resesed firewall, top loader 4 speed, so its not only brake linkage but clutch linkage.
    Thanks!

2. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Like some pics of this shoe horn job:D

3. yblock292

yblock292

will get some soon, bleed the brakes on the chassis today, running explorer rear end , pick up the body this week. Plan is to mount the body, firewall has already been recessed 6 inchs, set the engine and tranny back in the car before we rebuild the engine, its a whole bunch for stuff in a really tight space. Thinking i may have to just run fender well headers with baffles. Its a huge motor!

4. yblock292

yblock292

earlier thread was 430 in 39 coupe

5. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Can you reverse the manifolds so that the exhaust dumps near the front of the motor and then drop it down and back???

6. kursplat

kursplat

are you trying to use off the shelf headers or are you going to roll your own?

7. I remember watching a guy at the base hobby shop welding up in chassis headers on a 354 Chrysler in his '40 Ford, he did have hanging pedals which opened up the L/H side of the chassis for exhaust.

Maybe the hanging pedals would be an option to look at.

8. yblock292

yblock292

didn't want hanging pedals, even though it would have made it alot easier. Will be building my own headers, thinking now maybe fender wells with baffles

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

White headers black exhaust? I've seen some go from the fender well then sneak under the frame rail back up inside.

I don't like the idea of the exhaust , or anything for that matter being between the frame and the ground but it may work if your cross over doesn't work?

I think a forward facing header similar to a turbo header with a cross over pipe parallel with your tie rod up front then instead of connecting at a Y stuff two pipes all the way back? Only reason I didn't do that was the car was already put together and the hole in the x member legs wouldn't lie two pipes pass through but with the body off you'd be able to change that before you have all that stuff in the way?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Or just thinking out loud, if you went duals like that as far as you could then had them merge into a single bigger pipe threw the x member and then after it exits go to two tail pipes wouldn't it be like running a X pipe but it's just all on one side and the X intersection is in the x member pass threw?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. GasserKid

GasserKid

falcongeorge, FrozenMerc and Tim like this.
  12. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

You mite think about flex links like front wheel drive cars use and mount the exhaust solid so it won't move around.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  14. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mufflers 003.JPG mufflers 002.JPG I know a big block Dodge and a MEL aren't the same. But they take up about as much room. I used fender well headers. Capped off the collectors. Welded some short pieces of pipe to the side of the collectors. And ran them to some mufflers I got out of Corvette side pipes. Made some brackets, bolted two to the frame. Welded two to the muffler. And hooked them together with some mud flap rubber. The pictures make them look low. But in fact they are pretty tight to the running boards. And the frame brackets even help support the boards. Yeah I know, they need repainted.ATTACH=full]3477555[/ATTACH] mufflers 003.JPG

falcongeorge likes this.