Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 427 Chevy part throttle pinging

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jethro, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm having trouble with part throttle pinging with my fire truck. It has a 69 Chevy 427 with "205" 98cc bathtub heads. I believe that gives it 10-10.5:1 compression. I'm running an Edelbrock performer cam and manifold and Edelbrock 750 CFM carb. I initially set the timing at 10 degrees btdc. I have an MSD distributor with a 6al box. The advance curve is the stock curve from MSD. Total advance 21 degrees at about 4000rpm I think. The truck has 4:11 gears and spins at 3000 at 60MPH. When cruising it pings when I keep the pedal steady. If I accelerate the pinging goes away. Coasting it doesn't ping of course. I've tried backing the timing to 6 degrees and I've richened the cruise and power circuit 2 steps and disconnected the vac advance. Doesn't ping as bad but it's still there and it doesn't perform as well at 6 degrees. I'm running 94 octane fuel too......Any thoughts?....What am I missing?

2. Probably need to pull some mid range mechanical advance out of it. Try to limit it a few more degrees. Maybe add a little stiffer spring on the fly-weights. Bath tub heads are a little ping prone. Sounds like you got the basics covered.

I run mine at 15* initial, 8*-10* mechanical, 10* vacuum in the bus. But I only turn about 3500 rpm tops. 9-1 cr on mid-grade.

3. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll pull the distributor and try that.....so more advance up front and less in the middle.

Montana1 likes this.