Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '42 Plymouth Coupe Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragonknucks, Dec 24, 2013.

1. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Hey everyone, I have decided to start a build thread on my 42 plymouth special deluxe coupe. I traded my 54 customline for this car. I have seen a lot of builds on these 40s plymouths lately and love them. This is my 1st 40s car and I'm in for the long haul. Plans as of now are to fix all the rust I can. Keep the flat 6 and mate it to a t5. Explorer or other rear end. Disks up front. Lower it as much as possible without bags.

I've pretty much started tearing into this thing this past weekend. Not much up until then. I'm shooting to have the floor done over my Christmas break from work, but there is a whole lot to do. I will post pics along the way and hope to get some feedback and constructive criticism. I'm still a young fella with a whole lot to learn. Any help or advice is always appreciated.

These pictures pretty much speak for themselves. However, I would like to ask for input on how to go about repairing the body mounts. They are awful. I also have no access to take the body off the frame. I'm working in a 1 car garage.

Thanks everyone!

Rocky

Now for the fun part....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

You know about the p-15/d-24 forum, right? They are a wealth of info about all things early Mopar.

Check out the front spring pocket relocation to bottom of a-arm for some simple lowering.

3. 73RR

73RR

^^^^^... a couple of rust buckets currently under going repair over there.

4. daliant

daliant

I used light gauge 1X2 rectangle tubing when I rebuilt the floor bracing/body mounts on my 46 plymouth. Your 42 seems to have the typical rot spots for these cars. These cars have pretty strong body shells and redundant body mounts but with the rot that you have the A pillar on the driver side might have settled a little, if you have excessive gaps around part of the door it probably means something might have moved a little over time as the mounts got weaker. You don't want to weld in new rockers and floor braces and have the doors misaligned, there's not whole lot of adjustment on the hinges.

Hopefully the rest of the car is solid, there's some pictures on how I rebuilt my floor in the link below.

5. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

I know about the forum, but haven't really spent much time over there. I need to camp out over there for a while it seems. I have already done the spring bucket relocation. Now I'm riding on the bump stops. I need to do the shock relocation too.

Daliant, thanks for the heads up on your build thread
    I just went thru it. My floors are solid except for the edges mostly. Using rectangle is a smart idea and I might try that. There aren't really any bad gaps with the car as far as I can see. I hope to have most of this work done on the floors within the next week and a half. Wish me luck!

Rocky

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

7. farmer12

farmer12

Looks like a great project Rocky! Good luck with the build.

8. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Thanks Jeff and thanks Farmer. Your build is amazing.

I got a little bit of work done today. I have never put in a floor before, so take it easy on me. I still need to replace body mounts and such, but I figured I could at least do this for now. I plan to clean it up, use seam sealer, then POR-15, then some peal n seal. Hoping to keep out all the moisture and still be decent. Let me know what you guys think and if there is more that I should do to it. Thanks!

Rocky

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files: