Register now to get rid of these ads!

42 litre Packard engine in a Bentley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KoppaK, Dec 29, 2010.

1. KoppaK

KoppaK

2. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Awesome!!!
    I was hoping the Stig would take it around the test track. LOL

3. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Ah the days of iron men and wooden cars. I doubt I have the fortitude to attempt what the author of the article did, actually driving this beast. So "good show" to the UK "mates" and "cheers" for a safe 2011 should they continue to flog this car at speed.

4. 1952henry

1952henry

That'd be fun!

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love to see that thing brought under control (i.e. proper brakes and steering) and then driven in anger. I wonder how much abuse that old Bentley drive-train could take.

6. oj

oj

Looks like something from a MadMax movie. Anybody know what that engine was originaqlly used for? My computor dosn't have sound, so if they mentioned it i didn't hear it. Engine looks odd, 12 cyl in-line? Must've been a boat motor.
    I recall that some prewar Rolls or Bentlys had about 1200hp and i think used the Merlin aircraft engine, a V12. Maybe a UK'r will chime in and post a pic of one of those. Could you imagine driving 1200hp on about a 5" wide tire with wet cobbled streets? That is a sick puppy that made those things, be a miracle if any of them have survived.

7. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

that thing looks like a ww2 submarine with wheels.

8. rockstar96

rockstar96

Wow,42 litre,1200hp,V12 MTB engine,awesome!,can you imagine what it must have been like racing those kind of machines back in the day? :eek:

David

9. GravityFeed

GravityFeed

10. spot

spot
    from usa

packard built those big engines for PT boats. If the car builders had just used the tech developed during the war it's unimaginable how wicked the 60's hp wars would have been.