Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 42-48GM cars parts interchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Oct 17, 2018.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I just picked up a 48 Silver Streak yesterday. Curious what parts will bolt up to it.

Say if i found a pair of fender skirts for a 47 Chevy or 42 Olds...

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The wheel opening shape differs among the GM brands.....however, if the skirts are the type that cover the wheel opening, rather fit inside it, the more ‘universal’ skirts should work.
    The only other issue with Pontiac is the fenders are embossed with ribs. You’ll want to consider that when looking at the length of skirts.

Other body parts shared with GM brands are typically doors, roof, deck lids and glass. However, you need to consider which GM body shell you are dealing with. The GM ‘A’ body (all Chevys) and some lower line Pontiac Olds and Buick bodies is dimensionally different than the slightly larger GM ‘B’ and larger still ‘C’ body. Parts mentioned above only interchange with makes/models within the same series body.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    hillbilly4008 and i.rant like this.
  3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

As far as suspension and drive train go, lets say I need new suspension parts. Could springs, steering parts from a same year Chevy work? Was the Hydramatic the same through all brands? (bellhousing)

4. squirrel

squirrel

The workings are completely different than a Chevy.

Some body parts of some pontiacs are the same as Chevys. But not many.

and you're not likely to find a Chevy hydro, they were used only in trucks.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

From about 1937 thru about 1957 Pontiac, Olds and Buick had 'near' identical front suspensions. Chevy is by itself, unless you have a Canadian Pontiac which was Chevrolet based. Olds, Pontiac and Cadillac all used Hydra-matics and there is no doubt some parts compatibility, but I would not assume direct interchange without further research (i.e. Hollander Interchange Manual).

Ray

6. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Here is where im at now. I looked at NAPAs site and Rockautos. The only brake parts i can find for this car are rebuild kits for the wheel and master cylinders. No shoes listed what so ever.

Not a big deal as there is a shop nearby that can make them. Its just easier to get em off the shelf...

7. squirrel

squirrel

8. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

9. I had a 47 Chev, and found that the parts from the American Pontiac, Buick, and Olds, could be adapted to the lighter Chevy running gear. I converted the front to Buick backing plates, spindles, and wheels, to match my Buick rear end.
    It is unfortunate that the old parts books have all been tossed, because that was how I figured out what parts to use to make the swap. I still have a partial copy of a 1963 GM parts book, and it is a godsend for finding what parts will work.
    The second best manual, that is still available in a CD or DVD, is the Hollander Interchange manual for classic parts.
    http://hollanderinterchange.net/
    I don't have one, but have enough experience with using the manual when a friend was in the auto wrecking business to know that it is an excellent resource.
    Bob