Register now to get rid of these ads!

42-48 Ford Drop Axel on a "A" - Questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DamnitDave, Nov 10, 2003.

1. DamnitDave

DamnitDave
    Alliance Vendor

Being the novice moron I am, I found a 3" drop axel on the net, without measuring a thing I bought it cause it was the right price... In the midst of my mock up this weekend, I realize that my Model A spring is really short.

After some research I found out I have a '42-'48 Fat Fender Axel... Now I'm wondering what I need to do to use it. I figure it's only gonna be a few inches wider, spindle to spindle, which could look kinda cool maybe. Apparently those axels used a front mounted spring, but I'd like to use a top mounted spring. I'd need one that's 36" eye to eye, and has similar specs (weight and other dimensions) to the stock Model A spring, I think...

I'd like to find one with reverse eyes to gain maybe another inch of drop. I'm also afraid that a longer spring might have more arch, be higher or something, cancelling the drop of the axel. I'm talking to a guy about having one made, but I'm concerned about cost, we havn't come to a price yet.

Any input? Does someone like Posies make a spring for this application? What have other's done to resolve this?

Thanks,

2. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can use the axle if you want with the right spring. If you can't find a used one, Speedway sells new ones and shows how to measure for the correct one.

3. Elrod

Elrod

Yeah. Find the right spring for the axle. Use earlier spring perches and mount spring on top.

4. DamnitDave

DamnitDave
    Alliance Vendor

Speedway techs are the people that told me what axel I have, and then told me they didn't have a spring for this application ... I don't think I'd have any trouble finding a '42 - '48 spring, and I think I've already found one locally, but I'm concerned about how tall that spring will be mounted on top of the axel. Should I worry about this, if I want to maintain my 3" drop?

5. A buddy of mine used one of those axles on his A with the A type setup, with the spring on top the axle. He had a spring bent up locally(st.paul) for about $100. If you have one custon made, you can get it any way you want it. How low do you want this thing? if you want it really low, the only way to go is with the spring in front or in back. Dave

6. DamnitDave

DamnitDave
    Alliance Vendor

I only want about aq 3-4" drop total, from the spring and axel combined... so the top mount is not a problem. I'm hoping this guy I'm talking to will make this spring pretty cheap... I can handle $100... I'm just worried about him coming back with a $300 price tag or something, that I can't do.

7. If you don't find anyone who can do it cheap enough, I'll ask my buddy who did his spring and get the number for you. Dave

8. Elrod

Elrod

All that needs to be done is have that bottom leaf arched the other way. If he tries to charge you around $300, tell him to stick it! You can always ask what he will charge to re-arch one leaf of a spring.