Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 413 With a 440 Crank?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Calvin John, Apr 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Calvin John

Calvin John
    from Colby Wi.

I have a 413 from a '59 Imperial, If I put a cast 440 crank in it would it be off balance? Do I need to use the 413 harmonic balancer? The 413 has an 8 bolt crank and I'm trying to get it onto a torque flite 727. Can I just put a 440 crank in it and call it a day?

2. put in a steel crank and you are good. going cast crank requires a change in the balancer for sure. this may also require the matching timing chain cover. the converter may also need a rebalance.

loudbang likes this.
  3. greybeard360

greybeard360

You will need the correct balancer and convertor. You can still get the weld on counter weights if you do a little shopping around. That would save the price of a convertor. You may or may not have to change the timing cover.... There are several variations of them but most will interchange.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Calvin John likes this.
  4. all of the balancers; timing covers and cranks inter change physically they but may not work together in regards to timing. when mixing and matching various b/rb parts is important to verify tdc. there is a combination of these parts that will put tdc off by 10 degrees. I have run into this before on occasion. so if you do the swap get all three pieces off the donor engine. I would still verify tdc.

loudbang and Calvin John like this.

5. Calvin John

Calvin John
    from Colby Wi.

The donor motor I have is a 400 B block and thats what I was going to use the torque converter from. Looking at both the stock 413 converter and 400 converter only difference I saw was the massive size difference of the 413 converter. I noticed the 413 balancer had no weights while both the 400 and 440 balancers did. Im no expert but I was hoping if the 440 crank was the same dimensions I could get away with simply putting the crank in and use my 400 torque converter.

6. You have to use the balancer and the torque converter. Or get it balanced and use a neutral balance converter.

7. Calvin John

Calvin John
    from Colby Wi.

The 440 balancer and torque converter?

8. Yep sorry my brain thought I typed that in there.

The exterior balance 440 uses a big olheavy balancer.

Ya know it may be easier and cheaper to just adapt the 413 flex plate.

9. greybeard360

greybeard360

You have me confused a little here. First you are talking about putting a cast 440 crank in the 413.... doable, no problem. Then you talk about a donor 400 B motor as a donor.... of what?

The 400 and 440 external balancers are different.... if you have both you can see the difference.

What trans are you using? 727 ? What year is it?

What year is the 440 crank? There were a couple of different timing covers for the later ones, but TDC should still be marked in the same position (have not seen anything about that part being different)

The 59 Imperial used a cast iron Powerflite trans... totally different animal than the 727. That is why the convertor is so much different.

B&M make flex plates that take care of the balance issue if you have a neutral balance convertor and are using a 727.

10. All the RB series engine balance different changing from cast to forged crank as has been stated. What I'm more concerned with is you changing the stroke which changes the balance some. I've not done this particular setup so I don't know for sure. The 440 stuff I had was balanced on the flywheel if it was a cast crank and no weight on the flywheel if it was a forged crank. Both had a non weighted balancer. If you can find the correct torque converter with the cast crank weight, I'd try it. You'll know when you start it up the 1st time if it's ok or not.

11. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a bunch of reasons I wouldn't do this swap. But my first concern is the drivers side motor mount bosses. I have seen some of these early, big car motors that didn't have both mount bosses cast on the drivers side. Even if it has both. I think I would wait around for another 400. I think things would go a lot easier. Gene.

loudbang likes this.
  12. something that hasn't been noted is the 413 heads suck. they all had the small exhaust valves in a closed combustion chamber. max wedge excluded. the other thing with them is the small bore shrouds the valves reducing power. 413 rings and pistons usually need to be custom made. it would be easier and make more power with a 440.

loudbang likes this.
  13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I'm confused! Why change cranks when they both have the same stroke 3.75", you are gaining nothing.

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

We are all confused. If the OP would tell us what he wants to do it might help but of course that is too much to expect.

15. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not about the stroke. The early motors ('61 and older) had a weird flange on the flywheel end of the crank. To use a '62 and newer 727 behind it. You need a '62 and newer crank. But that isn't the only thing that makes this swap not worth doing. Trying to do it on the cheap, anyhow. Gene.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If he is trying to replace the transmission in his 59 Imperial with a newer one why can't he say so? Or is he building some kind of hot rod? Or putting the 413 in a newer Chrysler? Who the hell knows? He isn't talking.

17. desotot

desotot

If you want to use the later 727 and a 413 with the 8 bolt crank, I think you can just use a 426 hemi flexplate.

18. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ You would think so. But the early cranks and the industrial cranks don't have the raised ring in the center to register (center) the flex plate on. A hemi standard shift flywheel will work. But only because it will register on the outside of the flange.

19. I dont know the exact combination of parts. That being said there is a combination of crank; balancer; timing cover that does make the timing mark off by 10 degrees retarded. My thought is a issue with the key way in the crank and the marks on the balancer. One is different. Its not common but mopar engine builders have run into it besides me. No cast crank parts were used.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Seems he wants to put a 440 crank in a 413 block. Simple question.

The guys underwear size, how he can make his old lady happy of what he should name his first born are as relavent as why!

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Well that is easy then. Stick the crank in, weld it in place with an arc welder, wrap a chain around it and call it a boat anchor.