Register now to get rid of these ads!

41 Willys Headlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOLLYWOOD41, Oct 8, 2012.

1. HOLLYWOOD41

HOLLYWOOD41

Anyone have a cure for poor headlight vision in a 41 Willys? I just can't seem to have a good strong beam with the stock lens. I have tried motorcycle 5" bulbs and Drake conversions as I have in the 37 Ford and they work great in that car. I'm pretty sure it's the lens that's the problem.

Any suggestions?

2. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I bought the halogen headlight conversion kit(bulb&reflector) as well as lenses from Willys Replacement parts. They still don't provide much light, an make driving at night a pain.

3. It's the prism effect of the Willys lens...they spread the light too much and don't provide a good beam. You guys did the best you could, and I am not sure that you'll do much better.
    Easy to over drive your headlights at night...I live in deer country, and it's nerve racking.
    I've had the best luck on the interstate following an 18 wheeler, but I don't try to drive much at night.
    g-willys

4. ags41dave

ags41dave
    from midwest

Ive been running the kit Willysguy mentioned since last year on one of the 41s and have yet to use the high beams it works quite well for me at least compaired to the other cars without its a world of difference,Dave

5. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

G-willys & I have been over this before. I went with the Willys Replacement Parts kit. They use an Indian sourced 100watt/55watt H4 bulb, wich throws a lot of light, but the optics of the '41 Willys lens just scatters the light. Works well enough on hi, but deadly weak on low-beam, especially in the rain at night! I've decided to use additional small driving lights mounted in the grille. Not the coolest look, but my Willys would look a lot worse with the front end wiped off in a collision. Please be careful out there.

6. I have some of the chorme bezel rings that are like the ones on the Barb Hamilton coupe and others Willys gassers. This allow the headlight to sit up higher and more level to the ground. I would consider selling them to you if this would help you get "the look" and a better lighting option.

7. cruizznn

cruizznn
    from ohio

Well, I may be the odd duck here but have sealed beams in regular car headlamp buckets mounted in the big housing in the fender behind repro lens kits. Seemed better to me than messing around with sockets and reflectors. this is the only pic I have but would take the ring off and take a pic if you would like to see. lamp.jpg

8. cruizzin,
    That's what I am running in my '39 coupe right now, with H-4 bulbs, and I have very bright lights...but it goes everywhere, and it is very easy to over drive my headlights at night @ 65 MPH. Do not get a good beam with that double prism effect. Would never change the look of those Willys lights however...the SWC car with those add on seal beams just doesn't do it for me.
    g-willys

9. HOLLYWOOD41

HOLLYWOOD41

It has to be the lens as I have the Drake reflector and bulb in my 37 Cabriolet with the stock Ford lens and the beam is bright both low and high beam. I had sealed beam in the Willys and it sucked so I figured if it works in the Ford, it has to work in the Willys...NOT. It's the crazy lens. Not sure how the stock lights worked at all.

10. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Anyone had any breakthroughs on Willys lights? Been daily driving mine, and it's just not good. Also, the WRP kit bulbs can NOT live if there's any water on them. I've tried every idea I can come up with to seal the lenses and buckets on my fiberglass 41 front end; lost yet another bulb to rain last night.