Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 41 rear axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4ford, Jul 15, 2018.

1. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

hello what length reared would i use on my 41 coupe the banjo thats in there now is 60inchs i want a 9inch and will have one made to the correct length but will it be 60inch or 56 looks like everyone uses that why? i want to use the wheels that i have i think theres a 3.5 back space and fit well now . please advise
    thank you

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If the 'wheels you have now' are those on your car at present, and you like the placement of the wheels/tires in the fender openings, then you will want a rear end the same width you have now. If you have wheels that are not on the car yet, place them on the ground the same distance apart they will be when on the car and measure the distance between the mounting surfaces of the wheels and that is the width rear end you will want.

The wheels you have on your stock '41 rear axle will have a bolt pattern of 5 x 5 1/2" bolt circle. You will need a 9" rear end with axle flanges with that same bolt pattern if you are intending to use the wheels presently on the car.

Ray

3. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

yes the wheels do have 5x5 1/2 and fit well in the wells and yes they will make that bolt circle for me it looks to me like an 56inch would not even fit. to close to the frame??

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree with you, based on your reply....Its seems to me the same width is what would work best for your application.

Ray

5. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

so why would all the people that sell the parts say that a 56 inch would work??

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

For a definitive answer, you would have to ask them. I can only speculate on the reason.

The 60" width dimension you quoted in your first post....from EXACTLY what point to what other poinr did you measure? Not being a smart aleck here, but did you measure from the outer surface of the drum, where the wheel attaches to the hub/drum to the same surface on the other side? And do so in a manner that kept the tape measure in a straight line and not 'bowed' over or around the axle housing or other components? The axle width should NOT be measured to the tips of the axle shafts where the big nut is that holds the hub/drum in place. Now, if how I described the measuring process is how you did it, then 60" is correct.

Some people use the axle housing flanges to describe axle width, which could be, typically, anywhere from 52" to 58".......but the overall dimension can vary with the drum and backing plate dimensions that have to be added to the housing width to get the overall width where the wheels mount.

I can only reiterate what I said in my first reply. Place the wheels in a position tha duplicates their placement on the car and the same outside to outside distance they will be when mounted on the car. Measure from inside the wheel mounting surface to the other wheel inside mounting surface...and that is the width the complete axle needs to be.

Ray

7. Andy

Andy

A Maverick rear end works for me in my 32. It is lighter than a 9" so rides better. The car is also faster due to the lighter weight. It has less friction so gives better milage. It is a whole lot cheaper too. You use 1" wheel adapters to get the 5.5 bolt pattern. It has worked great for almost 30 years. The width is about 58"

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Maverick rear axle, without adapters, is 56" or 56 1/2" wide....adapters can be gotten in wider than 1" if additional width is needed for a specific application. A '41 is wider than a '32 axle. The 8" Ford is a decent rear end and is about 30 pounds lighter than the typical 9".

Ray

9. fordor41

fordor41

I used a '70 Torino for my rear. was a perfect fit. tires are about 1" from the inner fender lip.

10. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Are you an insurance salesman by any chance?

11. Andy

Andy

Did I talk it up too much? I think the 9" rears are maybe not always the best choice for a street car.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

I see what your saying about a 8inch vs 9 inch but i would like it to be 60 inch wide 5on 5 1/2 bolt and have a nice finish and worry free and not that much more if any cost ??

13. Andy

Andy

Granada's are 2 in wider than Maverick's. With the adapters they would be 60 in.

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I understand. I think I would, were I in your place, ask the supplier who recommended a 56" width how and/or why they made that suggestion. Unless their answer adequately explains away what you have measured, and seen with your own eyes, I would order the axle in the width and bolt pattern and ratio you want.

Ray

15. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

there answer was to use backspacing and adapters but really why would I want to do all that just to have a 8inch ves 9inch rear end is there that much different?

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't understand the sequence of events or who "they" are........To recap, I think you said that your axle measured 60" in width. You also said 'someone' (I thought the potential supplier of a 9" rear axle assy) said 56" was the correct width for your '41 Ford application. Then, we (you and I) went back and forth on how to determine what your present axle width is, how to set up the wheels to duplicate their position when on the car, and measure between wheel mounting surfaces. THAT should settle the width issue!

Then someone suggested you consider the weight advantages of an 8" Ford axle, and there are some. They even came in 60" widths, though not in 5.5" bolt circle. The ensuing discussion became a distraction from the main issue of what width you needed. And deteriorated into discussing wheel spacers etc. Just forget that crap!

Then I suggested you ask 'whomever' it was who claimed 56" was the correct width to explain why they said or believed that. I further said, failing a convincing explanation of why that dimension when your own measurements of the existing axle was 60", you should just order a 60" with the wheel bolt pattern you want. WHY is there still further commentary about wheel spacers etc.????? I think I have ran out of suggestions.........hope you get it worked out to suit you.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Andy likes this.
  17. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

Ray. Thank you for your suggestions !!! in the posts previously people were only suggesting using a 8 inch rear end and I am confused on that. I would have to stick a lot of money in the 8 inch to get what I want and just as much in a new 9 inch and have exactly what I want. I guess the real question is from a mechanical or weight perspective is the 9 inch a bad thing to have with the flat head motor and C4 trans ????

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No, it's not a 'bad' thing to have. It has for some time been the most popular rear axle to be swapped into a hot rod/upgraded car. It is somewhat stouter than a flathead/C4 combo requires, given the power output, but it will work just fine. The real obstacle to suitable alternatives is the need for the 5 x 5 1/2" wheel bolt pattern. There are other rear ends with that pattern but mostly older and obsolete stuff not worth fooling with. For example, '49/'51 Lincoln/Mercury and Ford Pickups from '48/'56.....

Ray

19. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

thanks Ray! your right about the 5x5 1/2 pattern but I have all that. And when it comes to changing.....well let the kids find a way around that :)

mike

20. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

This is an around the world way to select a candidate rear axle.
    48-1952 F-1 has the same front axle width as a 1948 Ford car.
    The rear axle on a F1 basically matches the front.
    Ford trucks kept the same rear axle width until 1972. In 73 the rear axle was widened to match the track of the front.
    1965-72 Ford truck rears have a narrow track (early) width compared to the front.
    so.....
    48-56 dana 41 or dana 44 in 5x5.5 F1-F100
    57-72 Ford 9"F100
    F100....Dana 60 through 1972

So at least check out a Ford f100 axle to 1972.
    Another option is the Ford Truck open Banjo from 42-47.

Around the world?.......
    A 1972 F100 axle fits a Ford F1 very very well. It's a direct bolt in! So........It should be very workable in a 1941 Ford car. It's the same bolt pattern as the front and you do not have to contend with the wheel adapter horseshit.
    As far as the the car 8" magically making speed due to less friction and weight.....in the real world???
    I'm going to call Bullshit on that!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1939-ford-pickup-up.1069332/#post-12136233

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/9-inch-rear-ends.1068906/#post-12134151

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Relax a bit, you are reading a lot more into my post than is there. You want to talk about horseshit...just read your own post above and some of the other contributions to this thread. My whole intent in reply to the OP was to simplify and clarify his task of insuring he gets the correct width in spite of what appeared to be an abundance of misinformation.

As for friction losses and weight penalties, yes they are slight in this specific case, but those things do add up in the 'real world'. But, again, I was not advocating for an 8", just trying to sift through another poster's comments that seemed to cause consternation for the OP.

Ray

F-ONE likes this.
  23. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Ray,
    maybe there's a misunderstanding. I'm not trying to argue with you. I just posted some more axle options.

Th OP mentioned having "custom" work done to an axle. This may not be necessary as there may be some bolt in options(fairly common) that may work well and fit his car with out custom work.

Personally I do not like wheel adapters and if that can be avoided even at the cost of some efficiency, I'll choose the bolt in option.

The greatest sock to the flathead is going to be the automatic. They do so much better with 3 pedals. With that said, the C4 is an efficient unit.

Hnstray likes this.