Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I gotta give you credit Eric, that really looks like a pain in the ass to repair. Are you still going for the 1 mm of skim filler on it?

2. farmer12

farmer12

It certainly is a little time consuming to say the least.......and yes, I'm still going for that 1mm. Time will tell if that's realistic though.

Spent most of the day finishing up the welds and smoothing it out the panel some more. Gave a quick coat of primer and made a slapper from some steel I had laying around. I'm going to do some serious slapping and hammering the coming days!

Attached Files:

3. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you plmczy. The real fun will start when I get to the inner part of the deck lid....:D

4. Car

Car
    from the desert

Nice work there on the deck lid farmer12, it already looks pretty smooth from what I can see in the pics.

5. n847

n847

As usual you promised more progress this week and you delivered!

6. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Car. I did get to work on it today for a little while and it's slowly getting smoother. More tomorrow.:D

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Eric you probably know this tip but if you don't have a torch for shrinking just put a flat sanding disc the wrong way round on your grinder and use that. They make great shrinking discs.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

8. farmer12

farmer12

After a few hours of slapping/hammering/etc I'm getting close to getting it smooth. I decided to test fit the outer skin to see if it would still fit. The only deformation was at the bottom(as expected), but considering it's sturdy metal at the bottom, I should be able to bring it back into shape with a little heat and hammering.
    Time to go "normal" work now, more updates next week!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks like it fits pretty good there,keep up the good work!

10. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you finnrodder. If you closely where the bottom meets the body, the sides are slightly protruding outwards. This is the area requiring a little attention. No major job, but I want the contour to be correct before I start on the inner structure.

11. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you n847. I did get quite a bit accomplished but there are just not enough hours in a day.....

12. Farmer, if you can't get your work done in the first 24 hours then you need to work nights! :D Too many of us are living vicariously through your work. haha

13. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Steve. I've heard of the trick before, but have never applied it. For the time being I'm done shrinking material.

14. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Hivolt5.0. I tend to get carried away at times and before I know it, I'm in the garage for 3-4 hours, sweating like nothing else and at the same time thinking I've only been working for an hour. Somehow the time just seems to fly. (when you're having fun.)

It still amazes me greatly how many people are following this thread. I guess I feel honored somehow to be able to show what I do and at the same time getting great responses from other like minded and skilled people. Thanks.

15. speed v8

speed v8

Looks like all the work on the deck lid was worth it. It would have been toooo easy to buy another one. :D Keep up the awesome build. Lovin it.

16. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks speed v8.

17. farmer12

farmer12

Spent most of the day on the inner deck lid. Started by methodically cleaning one area, a little welding and hammering and finally giving it some anti rust primer. Then on to the next area.

I realise that no one will ever see this whole surface but now is the time to completely get rid of 71 years of surface rust. The surounding edges are rusty in places, so I'll be replacing and repairing them in the coming days.

Attached Files:

18. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That inner piece looks like pretty solid.I guess your car was originally from some dry area of US?

19. farmer12

farmer12

The inner area is very solid, it's just the edges (I'll post some pics in the coming days)that are bad in certain areas. As far as I know, the car is from CA originally. Here's a pic of how the car looked quite a few years ago.

Maybe someone recognizes it? Would be cool to find out the history behind the car.

Attached Files:

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I knew it,there is usually less rust issues when the car is from dry state.Good luck with the history hunt,thats always interesting!

21. servi53

servi53

great work, and lots of it, keep it up

22. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you servi53.

23. farmer12

farmer12

I needed to replace the rusty channel of the inner deck lid. The first pic shows how rotten it is.....I traced the outline onto a sheet and welded an inch long strip to it, inside and out, to ensure maximum penetration. Then cleaned it up with my grinder.

The last two pics show the channel just laying on top of the original, and the fabricated piece seems to fit perfectly. More progress next week.:D

Attached Files:

24. Good thing you have photographic evidence of all the detail work you are putting into this piece of art - no one would believe you if you didn't! Still my favourite build thread on the HAMB. :D

25. 1959apache

1959apache

looks like you have been keeping busy Eric. Great job. I am going to be hopping on the coupe very soon and the trunk lid and surrounding area is where I am starting first. What are you using to polish up your welds after you grind them? I dont know how you are getting such clean looking work accomplished.

26. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the kind words ajmopar. I think only about 20% of the photos I take actually end up on the Hamb. Just imagine how many pics I have in my library.....

Once the car is finished and the build thread comes to an end, I'm thinking of printing out the whole thread (with Ryan's permission of course) and turn it into a book that can kept with the car for future owners reference.

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That book will be a thick as a concrete block:D

28. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Scott. To clean the welds on flat surfaces I use a disc with sandpaper on it. (not sure of the english name.) When I need to get into corners like on the piece I just fabricated, I use the same disc but then perpendicular. (the edge part). Usually I just use an 80 grit disc to clean up the welds.

Attached Files:

29. n847

n847

My trunk lip is shot too...Thats gret tech right there! I call that syle sander a flap wheel! Impressive work again!

30. [QUOTE
    Once the car is finished and the build thread comes to an end, I'm thinking of printing out the whole thread (with Ryan's permission of course) and turn it into a book that can kept with the car for future owners reference.[/QUOTE]

Eric, i think Ryan will be proud to see that he's breeding almost book authors with his internet thing! But i don't wanna hear something from you like "future owners", hope you keep your masterpiece! ;)

Carsten