Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Looks like a very labor intensive job....great work as usual though. You will have this done in no time.

2. art.flame

art.flame

the more you do the better it goes, i see your hard on your way to be a Pro

btw nice pics Eric.
    Art

3. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Mick. I think this will take me more than a few days.....Once I've done the outer shell, I'll need to take the inside shell out and do a fair amount of rust repair here as well. It's not impossible, just time consuming.:D

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Its rewarding too,when you've done it.Good job!

5. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Art. I get more and more respect for the guys that do this kind of work 40 hours a week. Aside from it being my own car, I only work on it when I feel like it.

6. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Finnrodder.

7. farmer12

farmer12

Continuing on with the deck lid. Started on the other side and working my way towards the middle. Also welded it up on the inside for extra stiffness. Gave it a little zinc coating to prevent surface rust.

Attached Files:

8. robleticia

robleticia

WOW, what a crappy repair job!!! Dont you just love rust Eric!

edit: I was talking about the previous job!!!!!!

9. farmer12

farmer12

I just don't know what the previous owner(s) were thinking when it came to repairing the rusty sections.......now I'm repairing it the way it should have been done initially. At least when I'm done with it, I'll know it was done properly.:D

10. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Boy, you weren't kidding when you told me your deck lid was bad. :) how did you do the underside? I made "L" shaped sections of sheet metal and stitched them across mine- worked great and really made everything solid!!

Looking good Eric!

11. powhatan42

powhatan42

I agree 100% Eric, that is why I am doing the same thing. Take everything apart and then some. My trunk lid must be a twin to yours. The Plymouths all rot in the same places, thank God I has a parts car. I just missed out on a '40 Plymouth Coupe for another parts car, and it was cheap! Oh well, it is getting close to my restart time, stat tunned.

Your project is going real well, keep up the great work!:cool:

12. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rich. Bad is possibly an understatement..... When I'm done with the top outer skin (or as much as I can do), I'll tear the inside panel off and get to work on that. That too is riddled with rust in certain areas. And when all is done, I'll join the two back together. At least I know what I'll be doing in my spare time the coming weeks!:D:D:D

13. 48plysled

48plysled

lookin great Farmer12 check out my build thread as my 48 plymouth is progressing.

14. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Glenn! Unfortunately there are not too many parts cars on this continent, so repair is the only option. You're right, they all rot in the same places! Good luck with your build and I'm looking forward to your progress reports.

15. farmer12

farmer12

Finished the welding on the small garnish mouldings today. Got the sandpaper out and then gave it a quick coat of zinc paint to stop them from getting surface rust. (the first pic is from last week, just to show you what I started with.:D)

Attached Files:

16. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

How many times do I have to say it? You're a very talented man farmer12. Thank you for showing and sharing your build thread. Awesome, just awesome.

17. Moparts

Moparts

looking great, love it. subscribed.

18. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you and you're very welcome Hogman.

19. nikkke

nikkke

20. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Moparts

Thank you Niklas, hope to catch up with you guys soon!

21. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you 48plysled. I've checked out your ride and it looks like you're well on the way to building one awesome car!

22. 48plysled

48plysled

Thanks man. Just got the rockets finished and filled the filler neck hole. Now makin a pan for the tail to clean- up by the bumper

23. farmer12

farmer12

Great to hear you're progressing. Good luck with the build (thread)!

24. Hi Eric,

i wonder if you got a rear window for your car or did it come without glass? what are you gonna do with it for i think it is still curved glass?

your garnish moulding came out great, you're so patient and your patience really pays off.

man, that trunklid looked ugly, but i'm sure you'll handle this one, too!

see you,

Carsten

25. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Carsten! It's always good to hear from you. Despite the fact the rear window looks curved, the glass is actually flat. So that's good! There was some glass with the car, but I'm going to replace everything with "modern safety glass".

The trunk lid is certainly crap. I've been working on it today and will continue with it tomorrow. I'll post an update tomorrow night. Talk to you soon!

26. farmer12

farmer12

Continuing on with the deck lid. Now what do you do if you don't have your own English wheel? You cut and weld until you have the correct shape! The first pic only shows a few cuts, but I can assure you, there were quite a few more in the end. Also used a bit of heat treatment in order to shrink the sides. I needed to replace the center section of the lid, which looked terrible. After spending a few hours fabricating the piece, I marked it off and cut out the old one.

Attached Files:

27. n847

n847

28. no english wheel, welcome to the club. I'd use my knee. Can't wait to see this on the road.

29. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks.:D

I've used everything from the gas bottle to my bare hands in order to get the correct shape.

30. farmer12

farmer12

I welded the new steel partially in place including a complete weld along the bottom. Now I already had the idea of separating the inner and outer skin, due to a fair bit of rust on the inner part. With the new steel positioned correctly and no chance of distorting the outer skin, I started the fun task of separation.

I first used a screw driver to separate the areas that were not spot welded and then proceeded to cut the welds with my grinder. After an hour or two, I was able to separate the two. What fun!:D:D:D

Attached Files: