Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

100% correct 36 ROKIT

Rebuilding them may turn out a pain, but it will make the end result even sweeter!

Thanks Jake. Not sure if it's a record or not. I just know a lot of people here on the Hamb like to interact on this build, which I think is awesome. It's giving some great discussions and ideas for everyone involved, including me.

2. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Your profile says you had a Mustang prior to this car..I know its an off topic car, but seeing your work and attention to detail on this project i would love to see some pics of what you did to the stang..Maybe add a album of it in your profile so we can check it out..

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh boy, I hope you have a source for the new rivets. Those little flat buggers are hard to find and who knows what kind of tool you'll need for the install.
    I went through this last fall on my '51 F1 and ended up using #6 brass hardware, grinding the vent glass for clearance. A bit of a PITA.

4. farmer12

farmer12

There's a guy on youtube that's doing a 41 plymouth restoration and I believe it's episode 13 or 14, where he used ground down bolts instead of rivets to do the job. He's very meticulous in what he does and gives some great explanations. Worth watching.

5. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

I'll bet if you hit an air craft maintenance facility you'll find those flat head rivets! They came in many sizes in a KC-135.

6. farmer12

farmer12

Email sent.

There's a good thought!

7. farmer12

farmer12

A buddy of mine just milled these supports for me. They will be positioned under the most forward body supports, just in front of the firewall.(with rubber of course to prevent vibration.)

Attached Files:

8. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Eric, are ya running brake lines through the mounts?

9. farmer12

farmer12

The only thing that will be running through the mounts are bolts. His photo also depicts a couple of brackets he made, but that has nothing to do with the supports.:D

10. Eric, as incredible as this car looks, with the unwaivering attention to detail, people are literally going to shit their pants when they open the hood. I can't get over it!

Your build continues to impress on every level.

11. farmer12

farmer12

I now know why a lot of chopped cars end up deleting the vent window.........I spent the whole afternoon trying to re-shape it with a lot of relieve cuts, welding and grinding, but did get a nice gap all the way around. I still need to re-shape the top part, but will do that once my dividers are in the mail. I will continue cleaning it up tomorrow. Fun.

Attached Files:

12. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Looking great, Eric.
    You'll be glad you spent the time when it's all done.

It took me quite a while to get mine right before I had the chromed, but they seal well, and they even work!!:D

13. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the great comments Todd. Remind me to take some toilet paper along just in case.:D:D

14. art.flame

art.flame

are vents stainless Erik? You need to tig weld that ,if you need some help ,let me know

Art

15. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the offer Art, but the vent frames are plain steel. For some reason a lot more difficult to weld than the rest of my welding work so far, but doable.

16. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Keith! No regrets so far, just a little time consuming.

17. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

And that brake line fitting is placed in there for artistic appeal? :)

18. hemi v8

hemi v8

Nice work on the vent windows so far, love the accurate way you work. This is still my favorite build thread. Just awesome.

19. farmer12

farmer12

Just done to confuse you a little Rich.:D

20. Better keep some in the glove compartment, too...just in case your passenger is overcome:eek::D

21. DeSotoman

DeSotoman
    from Norway

Nice work, a lot of quality time in this build.

[​IMG]

22. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the reply DeSotoman. Looks great from what I can see! I just checked out your profile and like the project in your album.

23. farmer12

farmer12

Just bought these vent window dividers from fellow Hamber, Joe Cocuzza, for a very reasonable price. They appear to be in good condition and are without any dents. They will require polishing or maybe a re-chrome, but that is to be expected with parts that are over 70 years old. Thanks Joe!

Attached Files:

24. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Good to see you found those vent window dividers, and that in record time! I presume some modification will be required....

25. farmer12

farmer12

I certainly was lucky with the dividers. I think that the only modification requirements will be on the bottom part, obviously depending on how deep the windows will be. I'll try to make them as far down as possible, in order to get maximum stability.

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Eric not sure if this will help you but I have a mare that does all my chroming, high quality and dirt cheap so if you want them vent frames redone its not a problem.

27. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Steve, I may just take you up on that offer.

28. art.flame

art.flame

Steve, can he handle bigger things like bumpers?

29. farmer12

farmer12

Spent the afternoon on the inside of the vent frame cleaning up the welds. Also re-modelled the top part, welded and cleaned it up some more. Happy with the end result, despite taking a little longer than anticipated....:D

Attached Files:

30. Damn you're beating that vent window frame into submission. LOL