Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

what the crap did you do....rob a bank or hit the lottery? That is one beautiful and sweet ride. Would love to have my hands on something like that to build.

2. Oh, I'm sure your engine bay is a whole lot bigger than a 34! Since mine is a blown application I needed 8" from the front of the block to the front cross-member. This means there is quite a bit of set-back necessary. Also, I'm running Donovan 417 top-fuel type heads - they are wider and a bit taller than stock 392 stuff. I removed the original firewall (will construct a new one with 4" of set-back). With the firewall removed, the valve covers only clear the cowl extension side panels by about 1/2". This means that I'll NOT be able to remove the heads while the motor is in the car . . . hopefully I'll be able to at least remove the valve covers! Another area of difficulty is that with the engine back, it now is much closer to where the clutch/brake pedals go. When you push on the brake pedal, it clears the back of the valve cover by less than an inch.

Originally I was going to fabricate my own equal length headers -- and tuck them down next to the motor and down through the frame. This ended up being a pipe dream! The Donovan heads have very large D-Port exhausts -- and the angle of the exhaust header flanges are designed for top-fuel chassis where you're running zoomies. There is no possible way to "make the turn" from the flange surfaces and get the tubes inside the frame rails. I've decided to build my own 'Lakes Style' exhaust, which at least gives me some room to work.

Steering isn't that bad because I'm NOT using a box in the original spot - but a Vega box up front. Part of the reason was because I knew I'd have issues with attempting to fit a box, the frame X-members and the brake/clutch in the tight quarters. Now, all I have to fit is the steering shafts and U-joints to the Vega Box.

Here are a couple pictures that show the mockup in the frame (at the location where it will be mounted) -- as well as the brake/clutch pedals and a view from the bottom side with all the mounts and the block/trans in place. If you run into any issues, feel free to ping me!

DriversSide copy.jpg

Rear copy.jpg

Frame-FrontView1 copy.jpg

Block copy.jpg

3. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Bored&Stroked for the in depth explanation. Now I see why its such a tight fit. The only issue I'll probably have is with the mini alternator, which probably won't clear the narrow x member. Haven't test fitted the real engine yet, but I hope I will only need to fabricate a new bracket to bring it slightly closer to the engine. If possible, I want the alternator to stay low and not on top of the engine. Do you know if there is an alternator that can be reversed? By that I mean, have the back of it towards the radiator i.s.o. the firewall? (not even sure if these things exist) Just trying to look at all available options.

4. I created a custom bracket to mount it low and in the front - so you can't really see if very well and it is out of the way.

Here is a picture - mocked up on the stand:

FrontView copy.jpg

5. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the pic. This may be an option as well. I'll give it a try once I get the engine mounts welded in and mount the engine in its final position.

6. Your '41 will be insane, can't wait to see it finished.

P.S. If the HEMI doesn't fit, I could make it fit my '38.....it was worth a try.

7. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

That car looks good

8. farmer12

farmer12

Thats funny. :D Neither of the two above, just sold the Mustang and the Harley to fund the start of the project. Been saving some $ for a while as well, in combination with selling some stuff I had laying around. Unfortunately still don't have that money tree in my backyard. This car has been a dream project so far and hope to have it finished this time next year. Thanks for the comments.

9. farmer12

farmer12

Its funny to see how many guys can make the Hemi fit into their cars!:)

10. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you, pretty stoked myself. Should have the body back on the frame at the end of the month. Then I can finally start mocking up. Can't wait!

11. I'm sure it wasn't easy to sell the bike.....I couldn't, I've had my Panhead too long.

12. farmer12

farmer12

Perhaps I was lucky, sold the Harley within 4 weeks. Then again, I didn't ask top dollar for it. Didn't get a serious offer at all, until this last guy came around. He was going to tear it down and modify the hell out of it.His choice. At least I got some decent cash in order to continue the Plymouth.:)

13. Yeah - if you find you need this type of setup, let me know and I'll make you a CAD drawing that is close. It mounts to the timing cover bolts. We milled a flat spot into the cast timing cover to make sure it was a nice flat pad.

14. Hey Farmer, you sound like me . . . it NEEDS to take awhile to build a car of they type I've dreamed about! I would never have enough time or money to do a fast project -- I think those are for the guys that have a ton of money and just "write checks" to the professional builders. Don't get me wrong - there is a place for those guys in the hotrod world (they pay a lot of bills and fund a lot of new products) -- just not my gig.

Keep it rolling . . .

15. farmer12

farmer12

Could not agree more! Where is the gratification and satisfaction in having someone else build you're car? Each to their own though. I get a kick out of searching, thinking and building. These things take time and money. Having fun and a vision of seeing the end result is what keeps me motivated!

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Looking at your avatar I just can't get the image out of my mind of it lurking around the back streets of Gotham city waiting for a chance to kick Batman's ass in a drag race with the Batmobile. HAHA!!
    Be sure to post a video if it happens.:eek::cool::D

Frank

17. farmer12

farmer12

When the car is finished, I'll certainly make a video. Perhaps a drag race or a cruise vid, but this will more than likely take place in the backstreets of Haarlem, instead of Gotham city. HAHA!!

18. how much of a chop is that?

19. Alternator doesn't care which way it spins, generator does. Just take care of the cooling
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233388

20. farmer12

farmer12

21. farmer12

farmer12

I don't know the exact amount of inches, but it appears to be about 3. I've included a few photos from when the chop was done, this should give a decent clue.

Attached Files:

22. desertdroog

desertdroog

That is strange...I was thinking something similar...that this car looks like something out of a Batman Comic from the 40's.

23. farmer12

farmer12

I'm looking at paint colors right now, will certainly go for a dark grey. I know I'm not at that stage yet, but at the moment I have plenty of time to search for the paint that I like, while the body is getting sandblasted and epoxy primed. I want a deep grey that will look good in the sunlight and nearly black when its dark. Maybe some of you guys here on the Hamb have any suggestions?

24. farmer12

farmer12

Well, it was mock up time once again today. (getting quite good at this by now;)) Worked out the exact position for the tranny and engine mounts. I'll need to cut about 3/4 of an inch of both engine mounts to make them fit in the relatively narrow frame. My friend Jaap is coming over on wednesday to do the welding. Hope to have the rear axle in about a week, so I can start on the four link. Things are going slower than I had hoped, mainly due to waiting on parts from the US. Stay tuned!

Attached Files:

25. farmer12

farmer12

Just a top view of the engine/tranny position.:eek:

Attached Files:

26. Just in case you don't know, try to get at least a few degrees of downward angle from the front of the engine to the back. This can be a bit difficult if you can't guesstimate your front/rear ride heights and/or running frame angle, but try to do your best. It is good to have 2 - 3 degrees if possible . . . and you'll shoot for the same 2 - 3 degree upward angle on your pinion. Have these two angles match (one down and one up) will keep your drive-shaft u-joints "happy".

Hope this makes a bit of sense :cool:

27. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the advice. Considering the engine will be fairly high in the frame, I was thinking of having the engine level, (and the pinion as well of course) and get the drive shaft at a downward angle. Seeing that the pinion is also offset(towards the right rear wheel,ford 9 inch) , there will never be a "straight"line. I know that the transmission and the pinion must be at the same angle to balance the equation, be it both level or like you described. I'll do some more research on this. If anyone has some more info on this, let me know. Thanks.

28. farmer12

farmer12

Went over to the sand blaster today to check out the body. Only found some small holes in the usual places. Except for the back part of the roof,(where the chop had been performed), it looks to be in good shape, no major surprises. Will post some more pics soon. Epoxy primer is going on tomorrow, this will give an even better look at the work to be done. :eek:

Attached Files:

29. farmer12

farmer12

Here are a couple of close up shots of the interior. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics of the body getting primered tomorrow. Can't wait, progression again at last.(things never go fast enough, right?;))

Attached Files:

30. Looking good mate....watchin this one closely !

Rat