Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks, working on it whenever I have some spare time. Trying to have it finished by summer next year before the hot rod meeting in Vasteras, Sweden. That is in early July(2011), so I think its a reasonable time limit I'm setting myself.

2. farmer12

farmer12

Just a quick update regarding today. I cleaned up all the sheet metal and wiped it all down. Sprayed a few layers of primer on there just to prevent the rust. Decided to get the frame sand blasted,when finished with the metal work, instead of cleaning it up,trying to apply primer and top coat myself. (Would hate the paint of the frame flaking off in a few years.:))

Attached Files:

3. As a suggestion, see if you can find a production automotive coating operation that can 'E-Coat' the frame - like the OEM automotive manufacturers do. I've found that since the economic hard times have hit our auto industry, that these big operations are willing to do more one-off hotrod stuff (for the average hot rod guys like us). I'm having my frame E-Coated -- to protect the inner structure (don't want it to rust from the inside out). Hell, I'd like my frame to be around another 75 years from now!

Just an idea . . .

Dale

4. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the advice Bored&Stroked. I've never heard of E-Coat before but will certainly look into it and see if I can find a manufacturer here in the Netherlands or surrounding countries. Just curious, how do they coat the inside if everything is welded up? :confused:

5. You make sure you have holes to let the liquid coatings in and for them to drain back out. For example, on the curved tube where my rear radius rods mount (up by the tranny), I've drilled two 1/2" hole on the top side (close to where it welds to the frame) and one in the bottom of the hoop - so it will drain. I've deliberately drilled 'lightening' holes through out my frame . . . every tube has them - other than looks, the primary reason was for the E-Coat to be able to get into the inside of every frame tube. The boxing plates were done such that the coating can get to every frame nook n' cranny. I'll actually have little drain areas in the bottom of the frame rails - to let E-Coat drain and when on the road, water to drain out.

Here is what I mean - holes everywhere, like 'Swiss' damn cheese:

RearWithGussets0 copy.jpg

The big companies have large E-Coat tanks . . . the pieces are 'dipped', not sprayed. The place I know has a 4' x 8' tank (not enough for the whole frame), but he agreed to do one end, then just turn it around and do the other.

Also, once I have all my steel work done in the body, I'll E-Coat it as well. I will first dip parts like the doors, truck, etc -- to clean the insides. The E-Coat will protect the insides of all these pieces and the complete body. If you need to add body filler in certain places, it goes OVER the E-Coat. So the process is to complete all metal work, welding, lead, etc - then the E-Coat, then complete the body work, primer once again, then paint.

The way I figure, if I don't do this, these cars will rust from the inside out -- why not protect a custom frame and a 70+ year old body for generations to come.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  6. farmer12

farmer12

Bored&Stroked, wow! Thanks for the explanation, what a great in depth story.Nice looking chassis too. Thanks once again.

7. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Great build awesome fab work! :)

8. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Wow you've been getting busy since the last time I checked in. She's looking good and that Hemi's looks like it going fast sitting still. Thanks for the updates.

9. farmer12

farmer12

Certainly have been busy, but unfortunately I'm waiting for parts from the US before I can continue. Should get a pallet of stuff late next week.At least this way I can spend a bit of time with the wife and kids!:)

10. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you! Enjoying it a lot,learning every day. Considering I'm a first timer, I'm doing things ok it seems.

11. I wasn,t a big fan of 40,s mopars till lately and your car has changed my mind.The stance and chop make it look very sly and sinister especially with that full house hemi under the hood. Look forward to seeing the finished car keep upthe great work. Rob.

12. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

this car is gonna be rad, seems like theres alot of plymouths being built. awesome!

13. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rob, but to see the finished car you'll have to wait another year. Hope to have it on the road this time 2011. Unfortunately don't have enough time/money to finish it any quicker. :)

14. farmer12

farmer12

There is no such thing as too many Plymouths, right Skoty!:D

15. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

FARMER...I agree that's the finest plymouth i've seen, PEROID! yes sir i believe 1 should stay with the same engine make as body. there are many fine hotrods in the netherlands, a yours is 1 of the finest, in my view. that 392 HEMI will make your old hoopy worth a ton of cash! man i still want 1 myself, and i'am a die hard CHEVY MAN. or maby i'am a closet MOPAR traiter...POP.

16. thinkfink

thinkfink

well said!

17. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks man, like I've said before, it was love at first sight.

18. farmer12

farmer12

A little update.(been on a short 5 day holiday)Just ordered my 4 whitewalls from Coker tires, 225/70r15, BF Goodrich. Even got 10% discount for being a Hamb member, saving me nearly $100! So well worth being a member! Hope to have the tires and the rear end from Currie at the end of the month. Going to sort out and weld the engine mounts next week.

19. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

You sure as hell are doing a fine job for a first timer quite nice work indeed.

20. highrolla7

highrolla7

unbelievable... If I can get mine to look half as cool as yours, I'll be in heaven! Thanks for the build thread, huge inspiration for me

21. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you. Compliments, suggestions, comments and questions are always welcome.

22. farmer12

farmer12

Started today to reshape a steel bar to fit in between the c-notch. This will support the air ride system and also strengthen the c-notch. Going to weld 4 brackets to the steel bars in order to support the airpod. Also got the 4 link delivered a few days ago but I must wait until I get the axle .(which will hopefully be delivered here in a few weeks along with the whitewalls) Can't wait.

Attached Files:

23. farmer12

farmer12

Went to Martin today, he's the guy that will do some of the bodywork. All body panels have been in an acid bath to strip most of the paint off. This week they'll be sand blasted and coated in an epoxi primer. Body will also be sandblasted and primered before the metal work starts.It has already been stripped of all the bondo, in places up to an inch and a half. All the "strips" of metal will be removed. The chopped part of the car will be finished with 3 panels rolled into the exact shape. Should all be done in the next 3 to 4 weeks. At least this way I know for sure that I won't have any paint problems in the future. Ensuring the basics are done properly is the correct way to start the project in my opinion. Do it once and do it right!

Attached Files:

24. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the comments. Maybe you should try a Mopar once. You may even end up liking it!:)

25. Very nice Farmer, i'm sure this will be the most radical custom in Holland at the moment (yes i know there are several radical hotrods, but not too many radical customs).
    Beautiful Hemi, my 39 Merc only got a stock 331 Hemi (1954 Imperial) since my wallet is empty at the moment.
    Keep us updates, when does your engine arrive in Rotterdam ?

26. farmer12

farmer12

The engine arrived in Rotterdam 10 days ago and it took 3 days to clear customs. Picked it up earlier this week with a rented van. It's even bigger than I imagined, its massive! I just went out to take a few pics, sorry for the glare from the sun, but you get the general idea I hope.;)

Attached Files:

27. There is just nothing like a big, nasty ole' early Hemi! I hope it is an easier "fit" into your engine compartment than in my 34 coupe -- what a bitch!

Looking great . . .

28. farmer12

farmer12

Just curious, where did you have problems regarding "fit"? For now, it seems my Hemi will fit including steering, etc. Not sure, but maybe my engine bay is slightly larger than a 34.

29. 65 impala

65 impala

this is a great thread very kool car keepthe updates comin:cool:

30. farmer12

farmer12

Will have some more updates and pics soon. Thanks for the comments!