Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

What a fantastic build!

The dimensions of the car are spot on!

Really loving it!

What power you getting out of the 392?

Great work.

HC.

2. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

hell yeah,, strip that girl!!
    will save alot of trouble before paint,,
    you never know what's under all those previous coats,,
    now you have a the perfect base,,

3. farmer12

farmer12

According to my engine builder, the 392 should produce 500 hp. I think that should be enough to light up the white walls!:D

4. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

x 2!

HC.

5. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

Man that sure is alot of relief cuts. By the time it took to weld all that you could have just made a panel.

6. 55oldsrocket

55oldsrocket
    from Santa Ana

this is a great build. keep up the good work.

7. farmer12

farmer12

Yes, I agree. That's why I'm rectifying it now, using only metal. Not sure if the previous owner had any experience in this kind of chop.......

8. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the compliment. Still learning everyday.

9. choppwatchagot

choppwatchagot

awsome work keep it up

10. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you. More pics coming soon.:D

11. farmer12

farmer12

Cleaned the frame today and working out now where to further strengthen it.Just want to make sure its all strong enough, may be a bit of overkill. Should get my gearbox tomorrow. From there I can work out the mounting position of the TKO 600 and do some more welding. Can finally determine the position of the engine mounts and get it all lined up. Will post some pics tomorrow. :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  12. farmer12

farmer12

Got the TKO 600 today together with the bellhousing. Mocked up the bellhousing behind the engine, substituting the adapter plate with a 1 inch piece of wood. This will at least give me a good reference as to where I now need to make my transmission mount in the frame. Will start tomorrow with cutting the old mount out and getting some steel from my friend in order to strengthen the frame. Will post some pics of the frame soon.

Attached Files:

13. farmer12

farmer12

Here's some pics of the frame. Just wiped it down and only found some surface rust on the original parts. Nothing serious.

Attached Files:

14. farmer12

farmer12

Here's one more photo to give you an idea. Can't wait to work on it tomorrow.

Attached Files:

15. Bloody hell, thats some car for the Netherlands. Where,s your first test drive ? Schiphol ? :D.

16. farmer12

farmer12

A good friend of mine is an air traffic controller at Schiphol. If only there would be another volcanic eruption in Iceland early next year........

17. farmer12

farmer12

Attached the transmission behind the mock up engine in order to determine the position of the mount. Time to get me some steel!

Attached Files:

18. farmer12

farmer12

All right! First of all I cut out the old tranny support.Got some steel and started measuring and measuring. Cut the steel bar so it will fit over and between the frame for added support. It warped slightly but I will ensure it will be welded perfectly straight. Pretty happy how much you can achieve in a few hours, even for a beginner. The new piece will not only support the gearbox but also make the frame more rigid. Going to cut up some more steel tomorrow for added strength and looks of course!

Attached Files:

19. farmer12

farmer12

Got a lot done today.Started with the sheet metal to cover the top and inside of the frame. This took quite some measuring.I'll post the sheet metal pics tomorrow when the welding starts. Now the reason I'm only doing this section of the frame ,is that later it will be very difficult to get some rust protective paint in these small and covered places. I then cleaned the section, which was covered with surface rust and dirt in all corners. Then applied a few coats of anti rust primer and finally with anti rust black gloss paint. A lot of work, considering I'll probably never see it unless I'm under the car with a torch. Then again, peace of mind knowing this was tackled is also worth something.:)

Attached Files:

20. Church

Church
    from South Bay

You win.

Man that thing looks pissed off standing still.

21. farmer12

farmer12

Now you can understand that it was "love at first sight". Knowing that a lot of work had to be done, did not worry me in the slightest. I just knew I wanted this car and make it better than ever before. No regrets so far!! Glad you like it.

22. 1959apache

1959apache

Are you still thinking about putting big fat white walls on that pig? Good progress so far, keep it up dude. I am itching to get my pickup running so I can start working on my plymouth again... you are the cause of the twinge. lol

23. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, still going for the whitewalls, gotta make them scream!!Good luck with the pick up/plymouth!

24. I just now saw this thread - way cool project! I love the look of that car and the fact that you're putting a big ole' 92 in it makes me proud of yah. If you have any challenges with the clutch/tranny setup, let me know . . . have done extensive work in this area. Are you using an adapter and flywheel combo from Pat at Wilcap? Hopefully so - he makes about the best product there is for this.

What cam are you running in the engine?

Dale

25. farmer12

farmer12

If you're going to it right ,you need a 392! Adapter and flywheel are from Keisler engineering. Using a Quick Time bellhousing with a Keisler TKO 600 5 speed behind that.(Using a hydraulic clutch) If I need any help I'll certainly let you know. Camshaft is a mild cam, don't know the exact specifications.

26. farmer12

farmer12

Once again, got a lot done today. Painted the rest of the sheet metal(underside). Once again my friend Jaap came along to do the welding part. First was the transmission member, then welded all the sheet metal. This will give a nice clean look when looking in the engine bay, considering there is an inch and a half between the body and chassis. Finally cleaned up the welds. Will clean it all tomorrow and put some primer on it.

Attached Files:

27. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks! Really enjoying the fact that the progress is going so well without any major obstacles.

28. farmer12

farmer12

Good to hear from you again! I certainly won't mind if you start your thread. (maybe I can learn something:)) Wouldn't mind seeing some pics, good luck with your build.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  29. farmer12

farmer12

You and me both! Thanks for the kind words.