Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

The welding has started. Got a friend of mine to do this part, he's been a professional welder for 20 years. He's a better welder than me and considering this is part of the structural frame, its best to leave it up to a professional. I've double checked (once again!) to make sure its level and the m2 front end will fit. Tacked a piece of steel to the front to make sure its square and lines up.(and stay that way) More coming soon my friends.

Attached Files:

2. farmer12

farmer12

Used an angle grinder to make a few cuts in the frame so as to get a better join with the new steel.(bending all sides inward) Also made a vertical incision in the frame so we can join that as well with the new steel for extra strength. Welded it all up.

Attached Files:

The 39 guy likes this.
  3. farmer12

farmer12

Also made a cut on the top, welded this up. Well this part is done, now I need to figure out the length of steel required in front of the frame. I was going to weld a new piece between the new steel but will now go with a longer piece in front. This will give the width I need so I have a place where I can mount the outer fenders.

Attached Files:

The 39 guy likes this.
  4. Two words...

FUCKING AWESOME!!

Keep em coming Farmer....this is gonna be a great ride when done. Are you going to run a Tremec 5 speed? TKO 600 ?

Rat

5. farmer12

farmer12

Ordered the TKO 600 5 speed with the Quick Time bellhousing. Got the whole package through Keisler Engineering. This set up is designed for the 392, with a hydraulic clutch. The TKO 600 should be able to handle the 500 hp that the Hemi (hopefully)will deliver. This sucker should make the tires scream!

6. I have been playing with 40/41 Mopars for 40 yrs so I know the chassis/suspension well...........am curious......the original chassis had a camaro or similar clip, you've cut that off and installed the new chassis tubes........the welding looks good, but how does this sort of modification go with the registration/licencing dept?.......I would have thought you would have had to have removed the complete camaro clip and attach the new pieces back onto the original chassis.......don't get me wrong........it looks fine to me but do you have to have any "engineers" confirm/sign off the construction?.......regards, andyd....have attached a pic of my 2 mopars........andyd

Attached Files:

7. Hey Andy....mate they prob dont have the same clown "engineers" that we have to put up with down here, although Europe is stricter than the US when it comes to mods.

Depends on the rules in Holland....

Rat

8. FARMER12 - If I were you, I'd start laying in a stock of rear tires...you're gonna' need 'em...;):D

9. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

If you don't mind me asking, what size M2 did you go with. I have a 41 that may get a m2 ifs as well, so I'm just trying to get educated.

10. farmer12

farmer12

I went with the "multi fit " 56 inch track width from Heidts.(p36 in their online catalog). Also opted for the narrowed upper and lower arms. Hope this helps.

11. 1959apache

1959apache

As an engineer that has designed and has done something similar on my 40 plymouth I can tell you that he is in the clear with his design. The only real fault with any of the fabing that he has done would be the welds.. which look good, but I can see where you are coming from. When you design things for long enough and do the engineering on them you can get a feel of what can work and what cant just by looking at it. To me it looks just fine because I have seen people get away with a lot less. but that is my 2 cents

12. farmer12

farmer12

Local rules here stipulates that cars with a modified frame need to be sturdy, no cracks and (preferably) no rust. The rules here in Holland are strict but they ease up on cars built prior to 1967. The department of transportation here can perform additional tests if they are not satisfied with a visual inspection. As long as you make sure its professionally built,safe and comply with the regulations, it should pass. I intend to contact one of these inspectors soon in order to rule out dissappointment later on.

13. farmer12

farmer12

Cleaned all the steel and welds. Primered all the new stuff. Now its time to start measuring the everything for the m2 set up, starting with the cross member. Feel happy with the progress so far even though it isn't much but at least the ball has started rolling. Will mount the fenders to insure the hub/wheel combination is centered.

Attached Files:

14. farmer12

farmer12

Welded the front bar on the frame to create some stability.(and mounting for the fenders) Next, I cut the cross member on both sides after measuring the correct position where the frame "passes" through. Tack welded this in place and primered the new front piece of steel. Also cut the "top hats" and tacked them on. Mounted the upper and lower arms together with the spindle to get a first look. Looking good from here I must say....

Attached Files:

15. farmer12

farmer12

Got quite some work done. Welded the cross member and top hats in place. Cut up some small pieces of steel and welded this to each side of the top hats to get a cleaner look.Cleaned it all up and primered the lot. I know this is all in a days work for the seasoned fabricator and hot rodder, but I'm a first timer. Probably took me twice as long but got there in the long run. The shorty headers just arrived, so I mounted these to the mock up 392. Looking good and will clear the frame without any problems.Time to see if the steering rods clear the headers. Time to order some more parts and painstakingly wait for them to arrive. Going find out the correct position for the engine mounts next.

Attached Files:

Plung likes this.
  16. farmer12

farmer12

Mounted the fenders again. Been searching for some 15x7 steel wheels for a while now. Of course there are plenty but I need a backspace of 3" and enough room inside the wheel to clear the 12" disc brakes and caliper. This is where I run into problems with the traditional steel wheels. They have an extra "lip" inside the wheel for strength but also reducing the inside diameter of the wheel. Went to the local scrap yard with my son taking a disc and caliper with us to ensure clearance. No luck. The guy said, try the BMW scrap yard around the corner. Found some 5 series steel wheels where the dics/caliper would fit. Even the bolt pattern seemed good.(4.75). Took one home to trial fit, and wouldn't you know it, it fits like a glove!! How lucky can you get! Even cleared the caliper by a quarter inch. Went back to pick up the remaining 3. Total was only 100 euro's(135 usd) with good tires. Will swap them for whitewalls later on. Time to hunt for some decent hubcaps!!

17. 73RR

73RR

Looking very good!

18. Nice build, very nice!

19. farmer12

farmer12

Here's a photo of the wheel mounted, fitting nicely in the fender. Only touching the front bar with the wheel turned fully left. Will cut some steel of this bar to ensure clearance when the whitewalls will be mounted eventually. The wheel sits fairly deep in the fender allowing me to use some decent hubcaps without them sticking outside the fender. Dutch regulations stipulate that nothing may protrude outside the car.

Attached Files:

20. farmer12

farmer12

Found these 15 inch 57 Cadillac hubcaps on the internet. Love this style with the bullit in the middle. I'll probably go with these to get the traditional look that I'm after. Just hope these suckers will fit on my steel wheels.Then again, how different can European 15 inch wheels be compared to the US version? 15 inch is 15 inch after all.....

Attached Files:

21. skooch

skooch

Hi, Cadillac hubcaps will require modification to mount on any non Cadillac wheel. Should be easy for someone with your skills. Kool car!

22. SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS

SKOTY CHOPS KUSTOMS
    from BAY AREA

Awesome bro, stoked to see it getting done. This is gonna be a rad car. Ill be watching this buddy.

23. farmer12

farmer12

Well skooch, considering I'm a first timer, I suppose as long as the hubcaps are steel and not plastic, I'll find a way to make them fit. Somehow...
    Thanks for the compliment SKOTY. It was about time I got off my A** and start the build thread. Still watching your project too.... great inspiration!

24. englands54

englands54

Man, I remember seeing this coupe on ebay and I also wanted to purchase it..Nice to see someone else taking it to the next level.Did he ever get you the skirts the painter still had? What was the last owner thinking by filling the belt line on the passenger door and not the drivers door.I think what ever you do with it, it will look killer.

25. Hey Farmer, i remember when i was looking at this the owner had a cool lil metal flaked bobber he rode to and from work.
    Your new front end set up lays much camber it looks like compared to how he had it set up ! Congrats man-

i'm still freakin on if i should chop my 41' or not.

26. farmer12

farmer12

Never understood why you would only fill one belt line. Both or none seems normal in my book. Previous owner said he could find the skirts for me, but I like the car without. Should be killer either way.

27. farmer12

farmer12

Camber wise, the wheel has been fitted, but the upper arm has just been losely bolted on. Steering rack has not been connected to the spindle yet either. I just wanted to make sure the wheel would fit. Camber and the rest of the set up will be determined once I get the bag system. Previous owner used the old Plymouth front end.

28. I couldn't agree more with the hubcap choice (see my avatar:D)

29. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

great thread!!
    and good to see someone who knows how to make it sweet and bitchin!!
    think the caps will look great!!
    i'll be watchin this one!!
    got a name for her yet??:D
    something to make the wife jealous when yer saying youre gonna go work on yer girl hehe

30. farmer12

farmer12

How about "the b!tch" or "sinister". Luckily I still have quite some time to think about a name!!