The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.
Alternator bracket is painted and installed for the very last time.
Meanwhile at the paint shop.....the dashboard is nearly ready to receive some colour.
Great pic from the front. Looks real tough. Those guys at the RDW ( testing station ) will shit themselves .
Dashboard has been painted, came out looking great. While my painter is busy painting, I'm getting ready to install the Airride compressor/components.
It's great to see you're making some good progress Eric.
Thank you speed v8. I hope to make even some more progress this week!
After quite some work, the air suspension works! The bags are getting stretched for the first time, hence the squeaking noise I presume. After a few more tests, we found out that the whole system was maintaining pressure. No leaks!
Your car is so sweet - you should nickname it candy!
Great vid! Best custom I've seen in a long time
Or candy apple black?
Thank you sir, it's appreciated!
I think I’m the first one to subscribe to your YouTube channel. Hoping for more...
That black still looks wet and deep, like it has 6 coats of clear on it. But I believe you mentioned
it's Single stage?
He did Base Coat Clear Coat (BC/CC), not single stage. Go back 4 pages and the base looked great too before sanding.
Skilled body men, they sure got it straight.
That picture I reposted shows 1. the roof section that is joined and leaded (at the factory) to 2. the quarter, that 3. has the body line and trim holes along that 'E' part of the light reflection, which they then welded 4. the rear fender to and filled the seam. Look at that reflection and realize every part is a compound curve made of 70+ year old sheetmetal in 3 different stampings. Oh, and it was chopped too!
He bought it chopped, but had to fix it. Here's a pic from page 6, I think, when it was first stripped. Now look at that reflection!
The above picture is indeed how I discovered it. (underneath the bondo). The picture below shows how it turned out after replacing all the (spliced) metal and using lead for the final stage in order to get the lines perfect. Quite a change.....
More shall be added mr number 1 subscriber!
It indeed has come out perfect. And like RodStRace said, it a BC/CC step. Two coats of black and two coats of clear.(and a lot of sanding in between!)
They sure did! Just got a picture from one of the (Portugees) guys doing his magic on the doors and deck lid. This will all be painted this week.
Thank you dutchrod!
farmer12, I didn't want anyone to think that the roof I reposted was UNDER that gorgeous finish, just how much work was put in!
Your picture shows the work much better! I should have searched more to find that one.
Of course, anyone that has gone through this thread knows that no shortcuts were taken and it's all top notch work throughout!
I'm so glad you have returned to finish this amazing car and story.
I know what you meant! No problems. Just wanted to make sure that the rest of the world wouldn't get confused.
Thank you for the positive comments, it is always appreciated.
I'm probably the only guy that will spend nearly two hours fitting two taillights on a car....continuously mounting/dismounting, adjusting etc until perfect. But hey, it's done.
"Perfection" should be your middle name! Great work as usual.
damn fine work, Eric!
I love the "gravity defeat" option. I didn't think that was available until the '42 model year...
Thank you Car
Thanks Carsten! Things are definitely on a roll again. I'm spending a fair amount of time on the Plymouth at the moment, loving it. And the missus doesn't even mind....
You are correct. But as luck would have it, this happened to be one of the test cars.
Caught in the act.(installing taillights). One of the shop owners was on a short vacation to the south of France and was checking out his security system, probably making sure everyone was working. Something about big brother... LMAO. (All guys here at he shop are awesome btw!)
Work is progressing great on the electrical system, just a few things to do. Nearly ready for the dashboard!
Separate names with a comma.