Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. gatz

gatz

damn is right ! that kinda stuff just irritates me to no end.

After all that work and beautiful powder-coating.

is there any way to get a port into the upper aluminum boss that would clear the "hat" but still get an air passage into the bellows, without damaging the bellows ?

like straight to the left & down...

Attached Files:

3. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for thinking along gatz. That could certainly work, but then clearance with the outer ring of the top hat becomes fairly critical. But I have the solved the problem. (see next progress report.:D)

4. farmer12

farmer12

After a few hours of grinding and tediously maneuvering the dremel around, I gained sufficient clearance for the air valves. I certainly didn't enjoy cutting into the fresh powder coat, but got the job done. I ended up taking out about 3/4 of an inch of metal. The exposed metal is now painted with a plastic cup of black rustoleum and a small brush I "borrowed" from one of my kids.;)

Both sensors are now operating freely, without hitting anything and I even found some time to install the rear brakes.

Attached Files:

Hogman and Car like this.
  5. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Great progress on the rolling chassis. This is already my favorite car here on the hamb and its not even finished. Kudos to you.

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hopefully this will be the last issue. Been there, done that, said the bad words.:D

7. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the kind words Mick.

I doubt if it will be the last issue.........then again, issues are there to be solved.

8. farmer12

farmer12

While I'm waiting for the upper front suspension arms to be painted, I went to my local blacksmith to bend my pedals slightly. They were off center by less than half an inch, but I know this would irritate me in the long run if I didn't get it done properly. My buddy Ron applied a little heat and we bent both pedals to the right slightly. Job done!:D (don't you just love that last photo?)

Attached Files:

Hogman and speed v8 like this.
  9. joco

joco

Great progress, Eric

Nice photo off the local blacksmith, looks like 1920, at the shop off my grand father, hi was a blacksmith too

Greet, Joe

10. I envisioned the old west blacksmith making rims for wagon wheels and horse shoes.
    It's the Montana cowboy in me . It looks like he could do all the above and more.
    I do love the last picture. It's a dying breed.

11. farmer12

farmer12

Just got my painted upper arms and the steering rod guide back. Installed them and took a few pics. Next: Brake lines!

Attached Files:

12. farmer12

farmer12

Decided to go with Kunifer instead of copper. It's a combination of copper and nickel. Made 4 pieces with the necessary flares and double flares. As you can see on the left side in pic 2, I've made them such that they can be joined to the brake lines inside. This way the body can be lifted off (if needed to in the future) by just undoing 3 couplers. (someone will thank me one day.:D)

I've made the brake line run along the c-notch, instead of along the rear axle, for a cleaner look. I just need to drill a few more holes (ran out of sharp drill bits) and then the brake lines are done. Jacked up the rear of the frame to ensure proper movement of the flexible rear lines.

Attached Files:

Hogman likes this.
  13. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats a good choice,Eric.Nice progress again!

14. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Antti!

More progress. Removed the tunnel from the body. Going to increase the diameter of the holes for rivet like ss bolts and cut out some surplus metal along the blue tape. Finished up the wiring for two front airride sensors and installed the passenger side drop spindle. It will give me another 2 inch drop in the front, which should be enough for an even cooler look.:D

Attached Files:

Hogman likes this.
  15. Looking great Eric!! I love this part of the build. Putting it together for the last time and seeing the finished car emerge.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Eric are you going to insulate those electrical connections in picture #2? Kinda scary to me.

17. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

That's probably why he posted picture #3..........cleaned up and insulated. :)

18. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you David. Things are really happening now.

Hogman is correct. You didn't think I was going to leave the wiring exposed?:D Of course not. At least you're very observant. Thank you for noticing anyway.

19. Orn

Orn

Looking supernice Eric!

20. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Per!

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hey Eric havn't looked in a for a little while, Its looking really swish, great stuff !!!

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Gotta admit I missed it in the later picture. Guess I had a serious case of cranial flatulence. :eek: :D

23. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks mate!

That happens to the best of us.:D

24. farmer12

farmer12

It's been a few days but I have been working on a few things. The body is now ready to go to the body shop and once again, plans have changed slightly. They'll now do the underside and just the front of the body. In the mean time, I'll get the hydraulic clutch sorted out and mount the engine and transmission on the chassis. Once the body shop have performed their duties, I'll show up with a rolling chassis and we'll mount the body for the last time. From there we'll take the next step.

Here are a couple of pics of the journey to the body shop and it's new home for at least the next few months.:D

Attached Files:

25. 1959apache

1959apache

yay!

what's it like to have an empty garage? haha

26. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Very awesome progress Eric, see you can do a lot even when i have not been around buddy. Keep up the great work mate.

27. 4rod

4rod

right on farmer...comin together, comin toghther

28. Ronald66

Ronald66

29. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Looking great, Eric!

I can't wait to see some of the body painted!

30. Ed.Boyle

Ed.Boyle

brand new FNG here.... I must tell you that is one beautiful car though!!!! What an inspiration!!!!

Awesome build!

-Ed