Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eric, check my thread for the solution to the park light/turn signal application.

2. farmer12

farmer12

Apart from being very busy with my "regular" job,(snow and cancellations.....see pic), it's just been tooooo cold in the garage with temperatures being below freezing for the past week and a half. The snow is melting as we speak, so you can expect some progress reports this week!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  3. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the link!

Just checked out your thread and I think I'll be using your idea. Thanks Rock.

4. so if you can get a large roof rack for the 737, then pack your car n'stuff and come over, Eric, so we can do some stuff at my shop! heater works great! :D sorry, couldn't resist! but, really, that would be nice! and i'm a bit lazy at the moment, so you could bring over some motivation!

Cheers, Carsten

5. farmer12

farmer12

There is always one in every crowd, isn't there?:D Despite the cold conditions, I have managed to do some work in the garage though. More tomorrow.

6. farmer12

farmer12

It was finally back to the garage, now the temperature in the garage is bearable again. Started by shaping and grinding the rear bumper and getting it ready for chrome next month.

Then started on the driver side door which had a horrible fill piece welded in. I thought it was a triangle piece which was welded in low by the PO, but it turned out to be a very much larger rectangular piece placed under the outer skin of the door. That must have been the easiest way out.....

Anyway, cut a new piece to fit in the hole, welded it up and gave it some paint. More work on the door tomorrow.:D

Attached Files:

7. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

So the hood and the fenders are the only original sheet metal left????? LOL:)

8. farmer12

farmer12

You are correct. Isn't that what they call customizing?;):D I think by the time everything is done, it's only the hood that hasn't really been modified.

9. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

So punch some louvers in that sucker!:cool:

10. 48plysled

48plysled

x2 Cant be having any unmodified parts lol.:D

Looking good Eric. Looking forward to more updates.

11. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you 48plysled! Did do a little work today and will post another update tomorrow. (yes, I forgot to take pics today.:D:D:D)

12. custommachinesIII

custommachinesIII
    from Belgium

found your thread! great! it only took me half a day to read it...:D i start to follow it now. now thats a perfect look for that specific model,in my opinion, my respect. keepondoinit :cool:

13. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you cmIII. You must be one quick reader! Thanks for the comments and support.

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice work with the door!
    We had a cold period in here too,but now its 0 in celsius.I think it was 2 months ago when was so warm that is it now..
    How the hell that dual post came there?

15. Hi Eric, thanks for pushing me forward, seeing you making progress accelerated me! met my upholstery guy two hours ago, he'd like to install the custom made headliner and the chrome guy will have finished some stuff next week. i'm in the race again.. i'll send you some heat over there so you can get your car ready for the paint job, what else is to do? your car will come out great, i'm sure, looking forward to Rik's statement. btw, did you make a final decision about the wheels, tires and hubcaps?

..and Antti, how much degrees is an average suomi body temperature? :D not sure about it!

g'nite, Carsten

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I guess its pretty regular in here,we aint no polar bears:D
    But 0 in celsius is really nothing,when i was in the army we had a 3 week long military training exercise in lapland and it was something like -25 to -33 during that exercise.

17. Goldy

Goldy

early hemis rule!! I have a 41 Chrys Royal coupe, thought about putting a 392 in it.

18. farmer12

farmer12

You're very welcome Carsten. A little motivation is something all of us could use from time to time!

Wheels are aluminium from a BMW 5 series, whitewalls from Coker and 1951 Plymouth hubcaps.

Attached Files:

Car likes this.
  19. farmer12

farmer12

Apart from doing a little welding today, I went over to a buddy's place to sort out a thing or two regarding the front grill. The bottom part is just too low and doesn't join the fenders nicely. So the decision was made to not only change the side of the grill, but also take 2 inches out of the lowest part at bottom. This way, the bottom will follow the stainless "heart" trim as well. Bolted it all together and it appears to be a more balanced piece now. Got my buddy to weld a few holes in the aluminium grill and all is done now.

The fenders are also now welded together and leaded. Another job done! Yes, I'll work on the door again tomorrow. I promise.:D

Attached Files:

Car likes this.
  20. farmer12

farmer12

You're not wrong Goldy. A 392 would fit nicely in your Chrysler I think!

21. gatz

gatz

Goldy,
    Hope Eric doesn't mind me interjecting here,...I'm in the process of putting a 331 & 727 into a 40 Royal Coupe.
    Be glad to share info/thoughts with you.

Gatz

22. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Nice job on the leading and the grill. I suppose you'll need to shorten the vertical trim now? Looks awesome man.

23. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Hogman. The trim will need to be shortened indeed. At the same time, I now have a little more room for my license plate bracket now. Here's a pic of how much was actually taken off the bottom.

Attached Files:

Car likes this.
  24. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Will you be happy with the 90 degree angle edge part of the upper part of the grill that is next to the headlights? If that corner could be rounded you may be happier? I'm not sure what it might look like when finished, it might be fine, but in these colors it looks a little out of place

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. farmer12

farmer12

I know what you're saying. The aluminium grill still has a protective coating and with "heart" trim on it, it will hardly be noticeable when finished all in black. If I had used my original steel grill, I would have welded and leaded it. That's the price you pay for using lightweight parts.:D

26. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Looking REAL good Eric! Nice work with the fenders and the grill. Glad to see you back at it!!

27. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Rich! The cold weather has finally disappeared (for now) and have been able to do quite a few things this week. Hope your doing well my friend!

28. farmer12 I am just diggin the inner fenders brother! They look good in there

29. j hansen

j hansen

This car is going to be amazing,realy like the metal work and the engine.
    Now i am waiting for the paint,some ideas?Schedule?

30. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Rob! I've actually just widened to mounting holes in order to ensure I don't force it into position like I did originally.

Thank you mr Hansen! Paint is going to be black. I'm actually leaning towards one without any metallic, just a deep black colour. Going to get my painter to paint a few samples for me before the final decision is made. Schedule wise: the body shop has room and time for me at the end of feb, beginning of march. This will give me time to finish all the last details.:D