Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Kenny. It's amazing how much time I'm spending on the little details. From what I can estimate. I have at least another month or two of work before I can seriously start thinking about body and paint. On the brighter side, it will make it all a lot easier in the spring/summer when its time to put it all back together.:D

2. powhatan42

powhatan42

Hello Eric! I'm just catching up on your thread, wow nice work indeed. Happy New Year to you and your family!

As you know my project was delayed for sure, however let's hope that 2013 will see my project move forward at warp speed. I have to admit that you have inspired me to continue. Thanks for all of your dedication and shared talent.

Glenn

3. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Matt. I'm getting anxious as well to see it completed. Just barely trying to keep myself from rushing the last few bits and pieces. I try to remind myself every day that I've worked on this project for three years now and that a couple of extra months of work doesn't matter.

Great to see you're back at Glenn. It's a good feeling that I inspire a few people around here, just like some of you are an inspiration to me. Looking forward to your progress!

4. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hi Eric,
    Happy New Year buddy. I know all to well how exciting and frustrating it is to be at this stage, good to hear you will hold fast and complete with the finese that you started with buddy.
    My buddy told me how ruthless the weather has been in the Netherlands, he so wants to come visit me in Australia when your winters roll around. Kenny.

5. farmer12

farmer12

It was great to be back in the garage again! One thing I wasn't happy about was the filler piece in the grill where part of the latch mechanism is. So it was time to take it off and customize it some more. The 8 bolts holding it in position looked a bit cheap a$$ and I came to the conclusion that I didn't like the big flat area either....

First made a template out of wood and then proceeded to hammer away. Ended up with a recessed area in the middle. Much better! Then cut the heads of the bolts and welded them in place. After a few test fits and some more minor modifications, it's now looking the way it should have in the first place. Gave a few coats of primer and should be dry in the morning. It may seem like a waste of 8 hours of labor, but I'm happy now.:D

Attached Files:

6. 48plysled

48plysled

looks good man. I think that the indentation really adds a little more flavor to this area.

7. Car

Car
    from the desert

Looks even better than before. Nice job as usual.

8. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Kenny. The winter here hasn't been too bad so far, quite mild for the time of year actually. Let's hope it stays this way! Happy 2013 for you too!

I think you're right......frustrating and exciting at the same time.:D

9. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you 48plysled. I can't do anything else but agree with you.

Thank you Car for the comments.

10. gatz

gatz

PLUS !!...it keeps round things like sockets/extensions/screwdrivers/beer from rolling off an otherwise flat surface

great work Eric... looks like it came that way from factory

11. farmer12

farmer12

There's a good thought gatz! :) I do think it came from the factory slightly different, but no one would know unless they're an expert on the 40's Plymouth. So why modify, you ask? Because I think customizing is also in the small details. Thank you for the positive comments.

How is your 40 Chrysler/331 Hemi coming along btw? Would love to see some more pics!

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks good again,Eric!

13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Far from a waste, looks great. Nice touch.

14. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Antti. Looks like I'll be coming to Helsinki next month. I'll let you know when it's 100% certain!

15. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks BrerHair, I knew you'd like it.

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats good to hear,hope you make it

17. davo461

davo461

That looks really smart! Any thought of drain holes, just in case of rain invasion?
    Davo.

18. charles horton

charles horton
    from vermont

i also have a 41 plymouth with a 53 desoto hemi,tubbed and straight front axle,old gasser style.hope to have on the road in spring 2013.

19. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Holee-chit,
    I just read all 176 pages of this thread. It took me about a week to get through it all.
    I was hoping it would be completed by now!!
    Good work, it's nice to see that you are taking your time and fixing all the little things that bother you, or to make them better than they were before.

Nice work!!!

20. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Davo. I won't make any drain holes in it, the area is fairly small, so there won't be a lot of water accumilated. (and I don't plan to drive in the pouring rain.:D)

Thanks Charles. Would like to see some pics if available.

21. farmer12

farmer12

Started dismantling the front of the car today. It was time to clean up the garage, re-position the car and get to work. There are still quite a lot of (small) things to do, but organising and prioritising was high on the list too.

On a side note, the front fenders still need to be welded together and get leaded and this can't be done while on the car.:D

This afternoon I took the aluminium grill to a buddy of mine who will weld all the holes for me. That is one job I can't do myself!

Attached Files:

22. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you 64LeSabre455. I was hoping to have it completed by now as well! But you know how it goes......one thing leads to another and being a picky/fussy guy, not even 3 years has been enough time. :D (but it's turning out the way I hoped!)

The H.A.M.B. has been great though. Not only in regards to support and advise from a lot of fantastic people, it's also given me the opportunity to share the build and keep a log of everything I'm doing. Glad you're enjoying the build.

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eric, what are you planning to do for front turn signal lights and parking lights?

Aluminum grill?

24. farmer12

farmer12

Hi Rock. I'm planning to make the turning light in the top (small glass) of the light assembly using an orange bulb. The normal and high beam will be in the main glass assembly.

The aluminium grill I bought on ebay last year. It appears to be an old replacement part from what I could see from the sticker. (never knew they made them.) The old original grill had been in quite a few accidents during the years and was bent completely out of shape. I did attempt to rectify it but it would have taken me weeks to get it looking like new. By accident I found the replacement part, bid on it and "won". It was less than 150usd including shipping from what I can recall.:D

25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmm. Mine is made of about 20 pieces, including the surround and the horizontal bars. So, no parking lights. That is what I was thinking of doing as well.

26. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

Like normal, nice job! Still love the hood prop.

27. farmer12

farmer12

Hmm. Even my original steel grill is made out of one piece. You sure you're not referring to the stainless steel trim pieces? Anyway, with regards to the trim, I'm going for a clean look, very much like the pic below. Just the "heart" and two vertical pieces.

Attached Files:

• lg.jpg
      lg.jpg
      File size:
      131.3 KB
      Views:
  28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe we have a terminology gap. Yes, I was referring to all the trim pieces. You are referring to the "nose"? Mine is made of steel for sure. Sorry for the confusion.

29. IvarP

IvarP

Nice work again!!! Really like the nice clean look of the picture you posted before, that "heart" piece looks amazing!!

30. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the comments gentlemen!