Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks guys! I think they'll look a lot better and cleaner than the Cad caps. I was surprised I found these in such good condition.....I had been looking around for them for the past few months but couldn't find too many. (some were even made into clocks.....) Can't wait to put them on the car and see what they look like!:D:D:D

2. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Yup, they look great. Same ones I'm running on the 40. Easy mounting too!

Looking great Eric.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Wow! Way cool hubcaps you got there!
    Good looking build.

Rgds,
    Jan

4. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the nice words exterminator. It will be on the road next year. Going to use the winter for bodywork/paint. Can't wait to get started on that!

5. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

I put a set of 51 Ply caps on my 48. I think they are a killer cap and your staying true to the Plymouth family. :D

6. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you my friend. Looks like we both have a decent taste.

Thank you Jan

I like the fact that they are relatively simple and not distracting from the car as whole, but rather complementing it.

7. farmer12

farmer12

It was time to start re-shaping and fit the new inner panel. I first removed the outer fender in order to get better access, then got my cardboard model into position. After modifying the metal, especially around the suspension area, I managed to get it into position. I left some extra room on the bottom between the wheel and firewall, so some of the heat of the headers can escape.

On the list for the next time is to create room for the tire when turning, working out a way to attach it to the firewall and the top of the fender, and ensure that there'll be sufficient clearance next to the valve cover. Plenty left to do!

Good thing is, once this side is completed, the other one will be more or less a copy/paste procedure. (famous last words:D)

Attached Files:

8. hemi v8

hemi v8

Good choice of hubcaps! Much better than the previous 57 Cads. Good work on the inner fenders so far, looking great! Inspirational craftmanship as always.

9. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I experience that all too often.. They look good however! Digging the louvers.

10. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you gentlemen. The progress will continue next week as my wife has just turned 40 and it's going to be 3 days of parties this weekend!:D:D:D

11. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Like the new hubcaps, much better. Good work on the fender, keep it up. Going to be a awesome ride.

12. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Hogman.

13. 1959apache

1959apache

looking good Eric, keep up the good work. I like the louvers. looks good. you should do the same to the hood! Would you start it already?!?!

14. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

Good call - happy wife, happy life! ;)

BTW - I have been following this thread for a while.
    Your level of craftsmanship is stunning.
    You are a credit to the hobby - thanks for sharing!

15. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Scott. Louvers in the hood would be cool, but I'd like to keep it "clean". Another thing, the Dutch summers aren't extremely hot, so I expect that cooling won't be a problem. Thanks for the comments.

16. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking great, Eric! I like the hubcaps a lot. As always, your taste and execution are impeccable.

17. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Coming along real nice, Eric...I'm impressed, you continue to make great progress!! :cool:

18. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you kbuhagiar. It's a pleasure to be part of this great community!:D

19. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rock. I see you're still working on your Chevy, looking good! When are you going to work on your Plymouth again? You were so close to finishing.:D

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks good Eric.I think those hubcaps are fine choice too!

21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The engine in my 86 pickup took a dump, as as soon as I finished fixing the 54 I had to start working on my truck. I should have it zipped up next weekend and can get back to my Mayflyer!

22. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Keith. Things are coming together, slowly but surely. Another 6-7 weeks and I'll be able to start the dismantling of the car and get it ready for body/paint.

Thank you Finn. Hubcaps should be arriving in a week or so. Can't wait.

Good to hear you're still working hard Rock.

23. 1959apache

1959apache

I am jealous.

It is looking good so far dude, hell.... I am even getting excited that you are going to get it in paint.

24. farmer12

farmer12

Continued with the driver side inner fender today. First thing I did was bend/hammer the metal nearest the radiator support outwards. This will give a cleaner look inside the engine bay, but at the same time making it harder to remove and install the radiator.

Next was a test fit and mark the area where the engine head was hitting. Cut out the required area and yes, another test fit. Then fabricated the required piece and welded it. After a bit of grinding, I got it to fit perfectly. Then welded it to the inner fender and cleaned up the welds (until I ran out of discs and Dremel bits).

Tomorrow more inner fender work.:D

Attached Files:

Car likes this.
  25. Looking good!!!

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Can you get the valve cover off with the inner fenderwell in place?

27. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Scott. There are still a lot of things to do, but I am also looking forward to the next stage of the build.:D

Thank you David. It's great to see all the followers of this build thread still have the patience and continue the fantastic support!

28. 1941Ford_Luke

1941Ford_Luke

29. farmer12

farmer12

Getting the valve will be a little struggle, but by loosening some of the bolts of the inner fender, it should come off. Hopefully I'll never have to.....