Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Sounds great....make sure to turn up the volume to 100.

2. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

392 hemi, tremic, tuff looking chop what more do you need keep up the fantastic work:D

3. farmer12

farmer12

When my engine builder (Eddie Haines) put this on you tube, I even plugged in my headphones to listen to it. There's nothing like the sound of a V8 !

4. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks! I'm just glad I just worked out how to upload the you tube video.(makes building a car seem relatively easy:D)

5. farmer12

farmer12

Couldn't agree more, they look like they belong under the car. Got a pretty good deal on them too.

6. farmer12

farmer12

Just placed an order with New Vintage Usa for 3 new 4 3/8"gauges. Speedo will be in km/h. (tach is not shown in pic) Love the look of these beige coloured gauges and should compliment a light interior nicely. :)

Attached Files:

7. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Fuck im in love with your plymouth! Bad ass!

8. Thud.... gots to pick myself off the floor! This is arguably the most outrageous '41 Plymouth coupe on the planet. I watched the auction on evilBay, liked the car but see now how much work it needed to make it RIGHT.

Bob

9. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Bob. I knew a lot of work had to done, I had seen some pics of what had been done, so no surpises really. Never had any regrets.:)

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. Subscribed. :)

11. farmer12

farmer12

Spent the last few days sorting out the triangulated 4 link and lining up the rear axle at ride height. I had planned to run it on the outside of the frame but after talking to the guys at ridetech, I've moved it inwards. Running the lower arms further apart would create more stability, it also means I would have to angle the bags at 45 degrees so as to clear the c notch. Ridetech said they like to run the shock/bag combo at 18-20 degrees. So now the lower arms and bags are set up inwards and the bags will be angled towards each wheel. Getting an angle finder soon and will start tacking it all into place. Note in the photo's the bags are still vertical in the mock up stage.

Attached Files:

12. I've never mounted combo air-bag/shocks, but are you sure they want the angle the direction you're thinking? It is definitely opposite from how shocks are setup. I'm not experienced in these types of suspension setups, would like to know more?

13. farmer12

farmer12

I have sent an email to ridetech yesterday with a photo. I'm still waiting on an answer from them. When I get it, I'll post it.

14. sololobo

sololobo

Exciting build for sure, these beautiful late 30's early 40's coupes have seemed to be "just discovered". I think it is one of the most curvy, deco, awesome bodys ever made. Keep us posted on this cool project. Thanx man. ~Sololobo~

15. farmer12

farmer12

Couldn't agree more. I like any old car, but the late 30's and early 40's coupes have great lines, chopped or not. (as long as it flows)

16. maninacoupe

maninacoupe

I am not a lover of 40's mopars. But buddy that is the baddest '41 plymouth I have ever seen. This will be a head turner.

17. farmer12

farmer12

Maybe there is a little Mopar love in all of us ! Thanks for the compliments!

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

wow. you took an already badass car and took it (are taking it) to a whole new level.

hats off to you dude.

wow.

19. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Jake, still learning as a first timer though. But I feel I'll get there.

20. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

you're "getting there" for sure!

21. farmer12

farmer12

I talked to Jon at Ridetech. He's advising to slant the bags at 18-20 degrees towards the wheel. According to him this will be the best angle for the bag/shock combination. Ride height of the car will with the bags compressed by approximately 2 inches. Will start on it today and do some welding tomorrow. Will post some more pics soon.

22. farmer12

farmer12

Started on the 4 link again this morning. First measured the exact distance of the brackets from each wheel. Got my buddy Jaap over with his welder to do some work and also act as an extra pair of eyes. Spot welded these into place. Then we moved forward to determine the position of the steel bar to which the front pivot point of the lower arms will be welded. Cut the steel to size which took a bit of time considering the frame is tapered towards the front. Welded it all up and will start cutting the front pivot plates to size this afternoon. More pics soon.

Attached Files:

23. farmer12

farmer12

Cut the pivot plates to size and determined the correct position. Also ensuring the ladders bars run parallel and horizontal took a bit a time. Welded part of the plates and spot welded the hard to reach places. Final welding will be done when the body is removed from the chassis. Will start on the top part of the 4 link next week. I'm happy with how it all went , even though you spent 90 percent of the time measuring and test fitting. Thats part of the fun I suppose!:)

Attached Files:

24. farmer12

farmer12

It's good to see that more and more people are getting into these cars. (and loving it!:D)

25. farmer12

farmer12

Started early this morning with my buddy Jaap to do some measuring and welding. We went ahead with the top arms of the 4 link. Unfortunately the frame is too low at the outer ends so some extra work will need to be done when the body is off the frame. We made some brackets to support the top of the bags. Welded it all up and then lowered the whole rear axle to check the up and down movement. Perfect! Going to assemble it all now, more pics soon.

Attached Files:

26. farmer12

farmer12

Assembled it all, looking good from where I stand. Never realised how much time is involved to "build" a 4 link, however it was worth all the hours. Learning every day!:D

Attached Files:

27. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

exxxxcellent!!!!! Looks really bad ass!

28. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks! Really enjoying my first build. Its funny when people see my car for the first time and say how much work I still have to do. I just think "look at how much I've already achieved and built". Its probably a good thing that not everyone is building a car.:)

29. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go, Eric, go! Most people have no idea what is involved in building a car and they certainly don't understand why we spend all that time and money doing it. It's a gearhead thing. :)

30. Awesome build. I'm just now learning how much work goes into building a car...and I'm just doing a 'simple' drivetrain swap. What you're doing for a first build is amazing.

Rock...go full bore and do this to your plymouth!