Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Well finally, the finished product! After spending another 6-7 hours today of adjusting/grinding/assembly/dis-assembly/etc, I've finally finished the bumper/bracket/splashpan saga. Who would have expected it would take more than 40 hours to complete such a job. I certainly didn't. Anyway, I'm happy with the end result.

The main task today was to get it to fit correctly which meant having to move the bumper upwards about 5mm and adding small ss bolts where the pan meets the body. Here are the latest and last pics of the final creation.

Attached Files:

2. every tenth of an inch can't get away from your attention, mate! it's like reading a good book, hard to stop! say, Eric, do you know Rik by person? it would make a great story to mix up his knowledge and your incredible increasing skills compared by vintage custom patterns, whaddyathink, boys? 'eric through the seasons' or 'rust farmin', the headline don't matter for we know what this dude's doing! :D love you, man!

3. n847

n847

Maybe I've just missed it but are you going to re-chrome these bumpers?

4. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

He even lines his tools up while working... OCD I tell ya! LOL. Great job Eric.

5. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

Nice!

6. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you my friend! I've talked to Rik on the phone a couple of years ago, but haven't met him. I absolutely love his passion for customs and the history behind them. I'm sure we'll meet one day.:D

7. farmer12

farmer12

Yes sir, I will.

8. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Allen. More coincidence than OCD I think.:rolleyes::D

Thanks Tantank49.

9. The splash pan looks great!! I really like how you "leveled" the pan and the top of the bumper. The flow is really nice now and having the bumper ends reshaped really accentuates the flow of the car I think. You should be very proud of your efforts regardless of how long it may have taken you.

10. farmer12

farmer12

Thank David for the encouraging words! I too like the way it came out.:D

11. farmer12

farmer12

Next on the list: running boards. The driver's side was in the worst shape of the two, so I started with that. It was pretty badly dented from a hit at some time. I made a pic of it while I was half through hammering. I ended up getting most of the dents out after a few hours, but will have to finish it when I get back from my vacation early september.

Yes, the farmer12 family are going to Miami FLA next week for some serious r and r! More progress reports in september!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks good again,have a good time in Florida!

13. speed v8

speed v8

Looks great. But what are we going to do the next two weeks without progress reports?? Just kidding, enjoy Miami!

14. Miami sounds great. Have fun Eric and family.

15. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Take it with you, u can hammer it on the beach...just kidding. have a great trip! Not sure some of us can go a day without any updates. Its like my daily bread to see posts everyday..LOL..

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh... Miami... ho hum...yawn:D When are you coming to Hawaii? We got better beaches!

17. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

Vacation? What? Crap! That means I won't have anything left to do but work till you get back.

Actually, have fun, looking forward to what you dream up while you are relaxing.

18. jbtine

jbtine

Eric have you given thought to the running board delete option. These coupes look great like this. The only drawback, if anyone considers it a drawback, is a few holes in the fenders that have to be filled. I plan on making my 41 a running board delete car. HEY I just thought about you comming to the Goodguys show at the Texas Motor speedway in October. Are you still planning on making it? If so, I'll have a set of running boards that I won't have any use for. Media blasted and epoxy primmed.
    With Eric going on vacation I'll have to post my 41 coupe build with a 354 hemi. Believe me it will be a poor substitute. Hard to compete with this build.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  19. farmer12

farmer12

I've thought about the delete, but I like them too much. They seem to belong to the car/style. I've seen a few cars without them and a few with narrowed boards, but it just doesn't look right to me. I am planning to extend them slightly so they fit perfect between the fenders.

Bart and I are going to Goodguys in March. (15,16 and 17). Thank you for the offer on the running boards, but by that time I hope to have everything done and hopefully painted.:D

20. jbtine

jbtine

Be sure to give me a call when you get in town. I'll be taking the "A" out there.

21. farmer12

farmer12

Will do, looking forward to meeting you!

22. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

well that took me an hour to get updated haha
    the bumper and splash look great!! love how you came up with going to the blacksmith
    how are you ever gonna answer the question ''nice car, what did you do to it?''
    think you should write a book and hand it out each time hahaha!!

23. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Finnrodder.

Thanks speed v8

Thank you anythinggm. Maybe I'll sneak a hammer and dolly with me in my suitcase just in case I get withdrawal symptoms.:D

I've been to Hawaii years ago and loved it. Maybe I'll go back there with the family in the coming years.

Trust me, I'll be back at it before you know it!

24. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Perry! I think handing out a book is a good idea. Or just a small piece of paper stating the things I didn't do.:D:D:D

25. n847

n847

Enjoy your vacation!

26. hemi v8

hemi v8

Have a good time in Miami. A well deserved break for sure.

27. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you n847.

Thank you hemi v8. I just realised how quick things have gone.....it seems like last week I was strapping the body onto the trailer. Perhaps it's good at times to look back and see what has been accomplished rather than just worrying about what still has to be done.:D

Attached Files:

Car likes this.
  28. Hey Eric, have a good trip and time to relax and enjoy over there, i wish only the best to you and the farmer-family!

Carsten

29. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you my friend. I may just pick up a part or two while I'm there!:D

30. 48plysled

48plysled

everytime I jump on this build I'm impressed you are gonna have one sick plymouth man. my hats off to you on your craftsmanship. It makes my hand fab work look like balled up metal that I heated with a blow torch and beat straight with a 40lb sledge. lol. great build up and keep it goin. Not to mention wow the amount of followers that you have on this. I only have a couple. got to say I'm kinda jealous lol. keep it up man. Mopar or No Car.